An arty little relationship film, Austin Chick’s XX/XY is ultranaturalistic thanks to some fine performances (especially by the always compelling Ruffalo) and some very dark lighting (which can make it hard to tell what’s going on). Ruffalo plays Coles, an animator/adman who falls for pretty party girl Sam (Stange). They also have an on-and-off menage a trois with Thea (Kathleen Robertson). Coles later settles down with Claire (Petra Wright), but a chance encounter with Sam threatens their domestic bliss. Like a relationship, XX/XY isn’t always thrilling; unlike recent Hollywood blockbusters, however, it is at least in touch with reality. EXTRAS Just a couple trailers and Spanish subtitles.
XX/XY An arty little relationship film, Austin Chick's XX/XY is ultranaturalistic thanks to some fine performances (especially by the always compelling...XX/XYDrama, RomanceAustin ChickPT91MR An arty little relationship film, Austin Chick's XX/XY is ultranaturalistic thanks to some fine performances (especially by the always compelling...2003-08-15Kathleen Robertson
Genre: Drama, Romance; Starring: Mark Ruffalo, Maya Stange, Kathleen Robertson; Director: Austin Chick; Author: Austin Chick; Release Date Limited: 04/11/2003; Runtime (in minutes): 91; MPAA Rating: R
Posted August 15 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Krasinski & Corden recreate 'Pulp Fiction' in hilarious sketch
- What to Watch Thurs.: 'RuPaul's All Star Drag Race' changes the rules
- 'Empire lawsuit claims kids were mistreated during filming
- Classic album covers get the 'Star Wars' treatment
- 'Mr. Robot': Carly Chaikin on the big Darlene shocker
- Prince's Paisley Park estate will open for public tours in October
- 'Another Period': Natasha Leggero, Riki Lindhome on season finale
- Flashback to the 2001 'Summer Catch' Premiere
- Fall Movie Preview 2016: 'Fantastic Beasts,' 'Rogue One,' and 76 Other Films
- Flashback to the 1996 MTV Video Music Awards
- See All of EW's Fall Movie Preview Covers
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your comedy nominees are...
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your drama nominees are...