Deadheads will form the initial queue for this startlingly good debut, a road book that follows a boarding-school dropout – turned – Ecstasy dealer who intermittently joins the movable feast that trailed Jerry Garcia & Co. in the late ’80s. Ludington earns knowing laughs from critical quirks among the faithful (”Taking a piss during ‘C.C. Rider’ had become almost automatic for me… I would usually be standing at a urinal when Bobby’s lugubrious, off-key attempt at a slide solo reached me muffled by a cinder-block wall”). And few writers have managed more clearheaded descriptions of getting high – or coming down. But it’d be a shame if the words Dead and drugs scared off serious-lit types, who might otherwise marvel at Ludington’s ferocious command of character and Americana.
Tiger In A Trance Deadheads will form the initial queue for this startlingly good debut, a road book that follows a boarding-school dropout -- turned -- Ecstasy dealer...Tiger In A TranceFictionMax Ludington Deadheads will form the initial queue for this startlingly good debut, a road book that follows a boarding-school dropout -- turned -- Ecstasy dealer...2003-08-22
Genre: Fiction; Author: Max Ludington
Posted August 22 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Mark Hamill to return as The Joker for 'The Killing Joke'
- Hugh Jackman shares final ‘Wolverine’ teaser image
- Casting Net: Morgan Freeman leads up action film 'Down to a Sunless Sea'
- 'The Bachelorette': And the 'winner' is...
- Richard Linklater in talks to direct Jennifer Lawrence in 'The Rosie Project'
- 'All the Bright Places' starring Elle Fanning finds its director
- HBO developing new Wild West drama series 'Untamed'
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- #50Scoops50Days: Keep up with the latest in fall TV news
- Ashley Madison profiles for TV's most famous adulterers
- Matthew & Keri, Katy Perry, Cate Blanchett & More!