”X-Men” fanatics, take a deep breath: Erstwhile mutant Hugh Jackman has traded his muttonchops for maracas, and he’s dusting off his dancing shoes to play singer-songwriter-showman Peter Allen on Broadway. ”Peter was galvanizing on stage, an icon in Australia,” says Jackman, currently rehearsing for an Oct. 16 opening. As this shot from the show’s buoyant ”I Go to Rio” number suggests, Allen was also famous for his outrageous antics: ”Hawaiian shirts, gold tap shoes, jumping on the piano, dancing with the Rockettes.” Wolverine in a kick line? Oh ”Boy”…
(Hugh Jackman Photograph by Brian Finke)
Posted August 22 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- TV legend Norman Lear gives 6 strong opinions about American life
- 'Downton Abbey' cast on saying goodbye: 'We didn't want to leave'
- Zayn Malik congratulates One Direction on their ’sick’ new single
- Dr. Dre's new album, 'Compton,' coming Aug. 7
- 'Ghostbusters' cast surprises patients at Boston children's hospital
- Chris Pratt, James Gunn mark 'Guardians of the Galaxy's one-year anniversary
- Kelly Clarkson crushes cover of Miley Cyrus' ‘Wrecking Ball’
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- FKA Twigs, Adrian Grenier, Bethenny Frankel and More!