Travel back to a kinder, simpler time when Wagon Queen Family Trucksters ruled the roads, dead people got strapped onto the roof, and Chevy Chase was actually funny. Very funny. Whether dancing with a sandwich, skinny-dipping with a supermodel, or punching a moose in the face, Chase, as Clark Griswold, finally lived up to all that early ”SNL” promise. (Then again, his success as the dim-witted dad also led to a series of wildly uneven sequels culminating in ”Vegas Vacation,” so our feelings remain mixed.) One would hope that a special edition of the ultimate road comedy, National Lampoon’s Vacation 20th Anniversary Special Edition would contain miles of extras, but this ride stalls a bit. In one of a series of short interviews, Dana Barron explains why she and Anthony Michael Hall didn’t go on the ”European Vacation,” and in the cast and crew commentary track, director Harold Ramis talks all about the original ending (played to test audiences) where the Griswolds take Roy Walley hostage. Cool! So where the hell is it?
(National Lampoons Vacation: Everett Collection)
Genre: Action/Adventure, Comedy; Starring: Chevy Chase, Beverly D'Angelo, John Candy, Imogene Coca, Eddie Bracken, Anthony Michael Hall, Jane Krakowski, Randy Quaid; Director: Harold Ramis; Author: John Hughes; Runtime (in minutes): 99; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Warner Bros.
Posted January 17 2015 — 7:41 AM EST
- The 'Kurt Cobain: Montage of Heck' scene you weren't supposed to see
- Get to know Nashville's most promising outlaw
- Weird Al talks about his worst costume and that time he fell through a stage
- Met Gala: 10 reasons it's more fun for fashion watchers than the Oscars
- Giorgio Moroder releases video for Sia-featuring 'Deja Vu'
- 'Walking Dead' actor arrested for DUI
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey' soundtrack gets a remix album
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Gisele Bündchen, Patrick Dempsey, Rosamund Pike & More!