Travel back to a kinder, simpler time when Wagon Queen Family Trucksters ruled the roads, dead people got strapped onto the roof, and Chevy Chase was actually funny. Very funny. Whether dancing with a sandwich, skinny-dipping with a supermodel, or punching a moose in the face, Chase, as Clark Griswold, finally lived up to all that early ”SNL” promise. (Then again, his success as the dim-witted dad also led to a series of wildly uneven sequels culminating in ”Vegas Vacation,” so our feelings remain mixed.) One would hope that a special edition of the ultimate road comedy, National Lampoon’s Vacation 20th Anniversary Special Edition would contain miles of extras, but this ride stalls a bit. In one of a series of short interviews, Dana Barron explains why she and Anthony Michael Hall didn’t go on the ”European Vacation,” and in the cast and crew commentary track, director Harold Ramis talks all about the original ending (played to test audiences) where the Griswolds take Roy Walley hostage. Cool! So where the hell is it?
(National Lampoons Vacation: Everett Collection)
Genre: Action/Adventure, Comedy; Starring: Chevy Chase, Beverly D'Angelo, John Candy, Imogene Coca, Eddie Bracken, Anthony Michael Hall, Jane Krakowski, Randy Quaid; Director: Harold Ramis; Author: John Hughes; Runtime (in minutes): 99; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Warner Bros.
Posted August 26 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- First Listen: Ellen Pompeo on Meredith's shocking 'Grey's Anatomy' attack
- Al Pacino and Melanie Griffith join Where the White Man Runs Away
- Lamar Odom makes first public appearance since hospitalization
- Luke's daughter, April, and Mrs. Kim are back for 'Gilmore Girls'
- Kevin Bacon has a creepy kid in the trailer for horror movie 'The Darkness'
- Russell Simmons, Tony Rock to present All Def Movie Awards
- Everything you missed from Kanye West's 'TLOP' premiere
- Check out the new Maz Kanata 'Star Wars' action figure
- Burt Reynolds Through the Years
- 'The Walking Dead’: Exclusive EW Portraits
- Exclusive Look at 'The Walking Dead' Midseason Return
- 30 Exclusive First Look Photos at the New Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- This Is What the Grammys Looked Like in 1996