Travel back to a kinder, simpler time when Wagon Queen Family Trucksters ruled the roads, dead people got strapped onto the roof, and Chevy Chase was actually funny. Very funny. Whether dancing with a sandwich, skinny-dipping with a supermodel, or punching a moose in the face, Chase, as Clark Griswold, finally lived up to all that early ”SNL” promise. (Then again, his success as the dim-witted dad also led to a series of wildly uneven sequels culminating in ”Vegas Vacation,” so our feelings remain mixed.) One would hope that a special edition of the ultimate road comedy, National Lampoon’s Vacation 20th Anniversary Special Edition would contain miles of extras, but this ride stalls a bit. In one of a series of short interviews, Dana Barron explains why she and Anthony Michael Hall didn’t go on the ”European Vacation,” and in the cast and crew commentary track, director Harold Ramis talks all about the original ending (played to test audiences) where the Griswolds take Roy Walley hostage. Cool! So where the hell is it?
(National Lampoons Vacation: Everett Collection)
Genre: Action/Adventure, Comedy; Starring: Chevy Chase, Beverly D'Angelo, John Candy, Imogene Coca, Eddie Bracken, Anthony Michael Hall, Jane Krakowski, Randy Quaid; Director: Harold Ramis; Author: John Hughes; Runtime (in minutes): 99; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Warner Bros.
Posted August 26 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Gloria Steinem's 'My Life on the Road' to hit shelves in October
- Watch Jason Segel channel David Foster Wallace in The End of the Tour trailer
- The Weeknd lives through a car crash in 'The Hills' video
- Vanessa Bayer, Fred Armisen, more appear in new Jenny Lewis video
- Neil Young thought Florence Welch was 'a man with a high voice'
- New 'League of Extraordinary Gentlemen'?
- Blink-182, Tom DeLonge: 'friendly divorce'
- Bill Paxton reminisces about 15 key roles
- 15 scary movies we saw as kids... that still haunt our nightmares
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- Ben Affleck, Taylor Swift, the Entourage Guys & More!