Think of it as the Olympics, but with melisma instead of hurdles. According to USA Today, the first ”World Idol” sing-off will take place in December, pitting the initial winners of the various international ”Idol” franchises – ”American Idol”’s Kelly Clarkson, U.K. ”Pop Idol” victor Will Young, and about a dozen others – in a contest for global vocal supremacy. As ”Idol” producer Simon Fuller explained in a recent Billboard interview, ”My intention is that the whole world will vote, and we’ll work the voting system so that the population of the country will be fair and proportional to the votes the contestants receive.” Also, you can’t vote for your own country’s representative. The two-hour special will be taped in London for broadcast worldwide near Christmas, with the winner announced on a second show a week later. That gives Simon Cowell about four months to learn how to say, ”That was horrible” in 12 languages.
(Kelly Clarkson: Ray Mickshaw)
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- 'Justified': Jere Burns on Mikey's loyalty and THAT scene
- 'Being Mary Jane' director on portraying racism on TV
- 'Finding Carter' returns with its best hour yet
- 'Cougar Town' series finale: How the cul-de-sac crew said goodbye
- Casting Net: Hugh Jackman in 'Apostle Paul,' Stephen Amell in 'TMNT 2'
- Joni Mitchell hospitalized: Report
- David Duchovny on 'Late Show': 'X-Files' revival plans return of Walter Skinner and Smoking Man
- Woe-woe-woe: 23 signature sad songs of the past 20 years
- Jailbird watching: 13 memorable movie prisoners
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- Alicia, Nicki & Bey, Brooke Shields, Helen & Katie and More!