Think of it as the Olympics, but with melisma instead of hurdles. According to USA Today, the first ”World Idol” sing-off will take place in December, pitting the initial winners of the various international ”Idol” franchises – ”American Idol”’s Kelly Clarkson, U.K. ”Pop Idol” victor Will Young, and about a dozen others – in a contest for global vocal supremacy. As ”Idol” producer Simon Fuller explained in a recent Billboard interview, ”My intention is that the whole world will vote, and we’ll work the voting system so that the population of the country will be fair and proportional to the votes the contestants receive.” Also, you can’t vote for your own country’s representative. The two-hour special will be taped in London for broadcast worldwide near Christmas, with the winner announced on a second show a week later. That gives Simon Cowell about four months to learn how to say, ”That was horrible” in 12 languages.
(Kelly Clarkson: Ray Mickshaw)
Posted August 28 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Jimmy Kimmel makes peace with gamers after week-long feud
- Joan Rivers remembered during special episode of 'Fashion Police'
- Jimmy Kimmel unveils new 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' toys
- Jason Sudeikis plays Drinko with Jimmy Fallon on 'The Tonight Show'
- How the novel 'Star Wars: Aftermath' sets up 'The Force Awakens'
- The lawsuit over 'Mr. Holmes' has been settled, attorney says
- Kristen Bell’s gift to Dax Shepard makes us all miss 'Parenthood'
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Tom Hardy, Alessandra Ambrósio, Bindi Irwin & More!