We don’t go out of our way here at ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY to make fun of Canadians, but sometimes it’s just so darn easy. A recent trip up north uncovered the Maple Leaf’s funniest offering since Kids in the Hall. We’re referring, of course, to Canadian Idol. The format is almost identical to our own American Idol, but with a few key differences. For one – and I’m going to try to put this delicately – they can’t freakin’ sing!!! Watching pale rider (and former top 10 finalist) Tyler Hamilton try to put the honky in phonky with his soul-free rendition of ”My Girl” (during Motown night) bordered on cruel and unusual punishment. And instead of the charismatic Simon Cowell and world-famous Paula Abdul, the Canadian judges’ panel includes names like Sass Jordan and Farley Flex. (Couldn’t they at least have scored…I don’t know, Corey Hart?) ”Canada might be the world’s second-largest country,” bragged host Ben Mulroney (again, who?) on one broadcast, ”but when it comes to hit music, we are No. 1!” Of course you are.
Posted September 5 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- A$AP Rocky's 'At.Long.Last.A$AP' to drop at midnight
- Even Taylor Swift's mom thought it was 'Starbucks lovers'
- Two of B.B. King's daughters allege father was poisoned by employees
- Hear Icona Pop's new single 'Emergency'
- 'It' on hold; director Cary Fukunaga exits
- 'Jurassic World' director Colin Trevorrow dishes on deadly new dino Indominus Rex
- Drake: 'Madonna' out, 'Rihanna' in?
- 15 scary movies we saw as kids... that still haunt our nightmares
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Christina & Matt, Kendall Jenner, Jordin Sparks & More!