We don’t go out of our way here at ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY to make fun of Canadians, but sometimes it’s just so darn easy. A recent trip up north uncovered the Maple Leaf’s funniest offering since Kids in the Hall. We’re referring, of course, to Canadian Idol. The format is almost identical to our own American Idol, but with a few key differences. For one – and I’m going to try to put this delicately – they can’t freakin’ sing!!! Watching pale rider (and former top 10 finalist) Tyler Hamilton try to put the honky in phonky with his soul-free rendition of ”My Girl” (during Motown night) bordered on cruel and unusual punishment. And instead of the charismatic Simon Cowell and world-famous Paula Abdul, the Canadian judges’ panel includes names like Sass Jordan and Farley Flex. (Couldn’t they at least have scored…I don’t know, Corey Hart?) ”Canada might be the world’s second-largest country,” bragged host Ben Mulroney (again, who?) on one broadcast, ”but when it comes to hit music, we are No. 1!” Of course you are.
Posted September 5 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Now's your chance to see 'Mad Max: Fury Road' in IMAX theaters
- Obama to honor Stephen King, Sally Field with National Medals of Arts
- Queen Elizabeth is a huge fan of 'Downton Abbey'
- You can binge all of TNT's new show 'Public Morals' — only on Labor Day weekend
- New 'Batman v Superman' pics show Wonder Woman, the Batmobile
- 'Star Wars: Aftermath': Finding Han Solo for a quick galactic run
- Kanye West sends Taylor Swift flowers after the 2015 VMAs
- Force Friday: See Hasbro's 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' toys
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- Johnny Depp, Gabrielle Union, Karlie Kloss & More!