Director Linda Mendoza’s hokey attempt at romantic comedy follows the misadventures of three Latinas – a frigid professional (Sanchez), a princess (Velasquez), and a hoochie mama (Sofia Vergara) – who empower themselves while vying for the affections of a hot marketing director, a.k.a. Papi. There’s lots of flying hair, plenty of sashaying, and most regrettably, a spontaneous synchronized dance scene! Although this extended Fanta ad tries to serve a demographic long ignored by Hollywood, it suffers the same shortcoming as black films of the same genre: the hypersexualization of women at the expense of a plausible plot. EXTRAS With uneventful outtakes and a cheesy music video, the bonus material is pretty lame unless you’re trying to sharpen your linguistics. If so, the commentary, on which the actors jump between Spanish and English, can serve as an invaluable language lesson.
Genre: Comedy, Romance; Starring: Roselyn Sanchez, Jaci Velasquez, Sofia Vergara, Maria Conchita Alonso, Ian Gomez, Freddy Rodriguez, Eduardo Verastequi, Lisa Vidal; Director: Linda Mendoza; Author: Steven Antin, Laura Angelica Simon; Release Date Wide: 04/16/2003; Runtime (in minutes): 80; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: 20th Century Fox Film Corporation
Posted September 5 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- #MakeFilmsIntoTVShows Twitter trend was long overdue
- The Best of 2016 in entertainment, from A to Z
- 'Spider-Man: Homecoming 2,' 'Bad Boys 4' set for Summer 2019
- Jennifer Lawrence can't believe Chris Pratt speaks German
- 'Justice League' director Zack Snyder eyeing 'The Last Photograph'
- 'An Inconvenient Truth' sequel debuting at Sundance in Jan. 2017
- Preview the opening scene of the 'Last Man on Earth' fall finale