Director Linda Mendoza’s hokey attempt at romantic comedy follows the misadventures of three Latinas – a frigid professional (Sanchez), a princess (Velasquez), and a hoochie mama (Sofia Vergara) – who empower themselves while vying for the affections of a hot marketing director, a.k.a. Papi. There’s lots of flying hair, plenty of sashaying, and most regrettably, a spontaneous synchronized dance scene! Although this extended Fanta ad tries to serve a demographic long ignored by Hollywood, it suffers the same shortcoming as black films of the same genre: the hypersexualization of women at the expense of a plausible plot. EXTRAS With uneventful outtakes and a cheesy music video, the bonus material is pretty lame unless you’re trying to sharpen your linguistics. If so, the commentary, on which the actors jump between Spanish and English, can serve as an invaluable language lesson.
Genre: Comedy, Romance; Starring: Roselyn Sanchez, Jaci Velasquez, Sofia Vergara, Maria Conchita Alonso, Ian Gomez, Freddy Rodriguez, Eduardo Verastequi, Lisa Vidal; Director: Linda Mendoza; Author: Steven Antin, Laura Angelica Simon; Release Date Wide: 04/16/2003; Runtime (in minutes): 80; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: 20th Century Fox Film Corporation
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- Casting Net: 'TMNT 2' adds Brian Tee as bad guy Shredder
- 'Osbournes' won't reboot at VH1
- 'Chicago Fire/PD,' 'SVU' bosses on fatal crossover event
- Viola Davis will play Harriet Tubman in HBO movie
- Indie director Adam Wingard to tackle 'Death Note'
- Behold, Joe Manganiello's 'Magic Mike XXL' poster revealed
- Hailee Steinfeld cast to star in 'Break My Heart 1,000 Times' film adaptation