Director Linda Mendoza’s hokey attempt at romantic comedy follows the misadventures of three Latinas – a frigid professional (Sanchez), a princess (Velasquez), and a hoochie mama (Sofia Vergara) – who empower themselves while vying for the affections of a hot marketing director, a.k.a. Papi. There’s lots of flying hair, plenty of sashaying, and most regrettably, a spontaneous synchronized dance scene! Although this extended Fanta ad tries to serve a demographic long ignored by Hollywood, it suffers the same shortcoming as black films of the same genre: the hypersexualization of women at the expense of a plausible plot. EXTRAS With uneventful outtakes and a cheesy music video, the bonus material is pretty lame unless you’re trying to sharpen your linguistics. If so, the commentary, on which the actors jump between Spanish and English, can serve as an invaluable language lesson.
Genre: Comedy, Romance; Starring: Roselyn Sanchez, Jaci Velasquez, Sofia Vergara, Maria Conchita Alonso, Ian Gomez, Freddy Rodriguez, Eduardo Verastequi, Lisa Vidal; Director: Linda Mendoza; Author: Steven Antin, Laura Angelica Simon; Release Date Wide: 04/16/2003; Runtime (in minutes): 80; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: 20th Century Fox Film Corporation
Posted September 5 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- New 'Star Wars' toys revealed in 'Rogue One' stop-motion video
- 'Waco' miniseries starring Taylor Kitsch, Michael Shannon in the works
- Lauren Conrad has a girl crush on 'Game of Thrones' star Emilia Clarke
- Kerry Washington developing female police drama at ABC
- Garth Brooks to singing Ashton Kutcher: 'Don’t quit your day job'
- 'Dead of Summer': Who survived the deadly summer?
- Nick Viall named the next Bachelor