Where last year’s ”Don’t Fall in Love With Everyone You See” was a masterpiece of twangy, loping melancholia, the latest by Austin’s Okkervil River is buoyed precariously on a cloud of hope. A great storyteller with rhyme schemes that would impress Eminem, frontman Will Sheff comes on like Conor Oberst with a tighter grip on the reins. FOR RAYMOND CARVER FANS On ”Yellow” (not a Coldplay cover), a narrator pulls his brother from the wreckage of marriage and tries to convince him life doesn’t suck. It’s a scalpel worked deftly into the heart of a heart.
Down the River of Golden Dreams Where last year's ''Don't Fall in Love With Everyone You See'' was a masterpiece of twangy, loping melancholia, the latest by Austin's Okkervil River...Down the River of Golden Dreams Where last year's ''Don't Fall in Love With Everyone You See'' was a masterpiece of twangy, loping melancholia, the latest by Austin's Okkervil River...2003-09-05
Producer (group): Jagjaguwar
Posted September 5 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Judge Judy drama series in the works at CBS
- What if Zack Snyder directed classic literature adaptations?
- Jim Gaffigan, Olivia Thirlby join political thriller 'Chappaquiddick'
- 'Queen of Katwe' story inspired Alicia Keys to write a new song
- Sebastian Stan joins Steven Soderbergh's heist film 'Logan Lucky'
- Three Rounds: Sunday Funday with the cast of 'You're the Worst'
- Teyana Taylor, star of Kanye West's 'Fade' video, cast in VH1's 'The Breaks'
- 11 of the Best 'Mister Rogers' Neighborhood' Guest Stars
- 'Easy': 12 Exclusive First Look Photos
- First Look: Jyn Erso Toys from 'Rogue One: A Star Wars Story'
- Darth Vader, Voldemort, and 7 Other Pop Culture Comparisons to Donald Trump
- Celebrity Professors: See Stars Who Make the Grade
- 55 Books to Read This Fall