Meet the hardest-working game in showbiz. Still going in its 14th year, the latest edition of this classic football sim ups the ante again. One of two great new features is the Playmaker Control, which allows you to adjust plays even after the ball is snapped. If, playing as Daunte Culpepper, you see a free safety shadowing Randy Moss, tap the right stick to bring him back for a screen pass – and a quick eight yards. Adding a mind-boggling level of depth is the Owner Mode, which lets you negotiate salaries, build a stadium, and – for the detail-obsessed – even set prices at the concession stands. Remember: Selling dollar beers might make you popular with the fans but will hurt your bottom line. The ”Madden” series works because it’s a polished sim with incredible replay value – especially online with a PS2 (which also allows you to use the USB headset to verbally abuse the snot-nosed 13-year-old in Tucson who’s been blitzing you all day). All they need to do is hire the ”Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball” girls as cheerleaders.
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- See the exclusive trailer to Amy Berg's explosive Hollywood pedophile documentary, 'An Open Secret'
- 'Person of Interest' post-mortem: Showrunners talk emotional finale and the return of Taraji P. Henson
- 'Agents of SHIELD': Inside the tie-in to 'Avengers: Age of Ultron'
- 'Person of Interest' season 4 finale react: A new world order
- 'Forever' exec producer on Henry's secret--safe or out?
- Casting Net: Ashton Kutcher, Josh Hartnett cast in James Franco's 'The Long Home'
- Tom Brokaw vs. cancer: 'Dateline' special
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Taylor Swift, Cate Blanchett, James Marsden & More!