When Vin Diesel plays a DEA agent whose wife is killed by cartel assassins, you naturally expect the payback to be extensive. Oddly, it isn’t. Oh, Diesel’s grim avenger gets in his whacks, beating one of his wife’s killers to death and setting off an impressively chaotic drug-sting-gone-bad gunfight. But too often, the film plods along at a police-procedural pace, with occasional interludes that feature Diesel staring blankly into the distance, presumably flashing back to happier times. The filmmakers seem to be trying to explore the themes of grief and vengeance, but they’re simply out of their depth here. Just like their star. EXTRAS A handful of deleted scenes only demonstrate why they were deleted.
Genre: Action/Adventure, Mystery and Thriller, Drama; Starring: Vin Diesel, Juan Fernandez, Jeff Kober, Jacqueline Obradors, Timothy Olyphant, Larenz Tate; Director: F. Gary Gray; Author: Christian Gudegast, Paul Scheuring; Release Date Wide: 04/04/2003; Runtime (in minutes): 105; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: New Line Cinema
Posted September 5 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'The Death of "Superman Lives": What Happened?' clip: What killed the '90s superhero project?
- Prince releases surprise track, 'HARDROCKLOVER'
- Iggy Azalea calls out sexist media after Britney Spears tweets
- See the explosive teaser trailer for 'London Has Fallen'
- 'Fear the Walking Dead': 3 new photos with inside scoop from showrunner
- Everything you need to know about EW's Comic-Con 2015 coverage
- 'Tank Girl' director to helm 'Doctor Who' season finale
- 27 TV faves you forgot were in 'Seinfeld' episodes
- 'X-Files': David Duchovny, Gillian Anderson portraits
- Comic-Con 2005: How buzziest projects panned out
- 'Survivor' cast thanks YOU for Second Chances in new pics
- 'Ant-Man': 7 EW exclusive new character posters
- Lupita Nyong'o, Amber Heard, Rosario Dawson & More!