Growing up in L.A., Reed had a thing for horses. ”My grandma breeds them, so I was really into horseback riding,” says the 15-year-old actress. ”I used to go every week.” Then junior high happened: loneliness, jealousy, self-destruction. Reed coped by pouring her heart into a screenplay for Thirteen, the fast-living adolescent drama she costars in with Evan Rachel Wood and Holly Hunter (see review on page 54). ”I knew nothing about writing,” says Reed, who shares an author credit with director/friend Catherine Hardwicke, 48. ”But Catherine wasn’t 13 and I was, so that’s where the movie got its basic outline. It’s my voice.” Which didn’t get her out of auditioning for the role of manipulative, troubled Evie – especially since her resume consisted of a school play in kindergarten. In the next five years Reed is looking forward to college, and maybe even more acting. ”I don’t know where my life is headed.”
Posted September 5 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Taylor Swift teases 'Wildest Dreams' video with pic of Scott Eastwood
- Andy Samberg provides Emmys hashtags #freepizza(no)
- Watch the MTV VMAs with EW's drinking game
- Fan theory suggests the Joker was hero of 'The Dark Knight'
- Everything Hannibal wore on 'Hannibal'
- Jeff Probst on the players he's surprised didn't get voted into 'Survivor'
- Justin Timberlake and Jonathan Demme are making a 'space age music film'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Darius Rucker, Paris Hilton, Nick & Pharrell and More!