With his shock of wild hair, sexed-up swagger, and overheated pickup lines, Victor (Rasuk) is a self-styled teen ”playa” searching for conquests on the sweltering summer streets of Manhattan’s Lower East Side. He cuts a comic figure – mainly because we suspect he’s more talk than action. So does ”Juicy” Judy (Marte), the wary object of his affections. In his feature debut, writer-director Peter Sollett subtly captures the sweetly awkward ways in which the two learn to love by letting down their defenses, and unravels the everyday dynamics of Victor’s relationship with his close-knit but contentious family. Eschewing coming-of-age cliches and inner-city-Latino caricatures, Sollett’s work of gentle grace radiates authenticity. EXTRAS Sadly, nada. And with acting this good, any insight into how the performances of the nonprofessional cast were shaped would have been welcome.
Raising Victor Vargas With his shock of wild hair, sexed-up swagger, and overheated pickup lines, Victor (Rasuk) is a self-styled teen ''playa'' searching for conquests on...Raising Victor VargasDramaPeter SollettPT88MR With his shock of wild hair, sexed-up swagger, and overheated pickup lines, Victor (Rasuk) is a self-styled teen ''playa'' searching for conquests on...2003-09-05Sylvestre RasukKrystal RodriguezSylvestre Rasuk, Krystal RodriguezSamuel Goldwyn Films
Genre: Drama; Starring: Judy Marte, Victor Rasuk, Sylvestre Rasuk, Krystal Rodriguez; Director: Peter Sollett; Author: Peter Sollett; Runtime (in minutes): 88; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Samuel Goldwyn Films
Posted September 5 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- USA! USA! 10 patriotic movies to watch over July 4 weekend
- 'Wayward Pines' exec producer Chad Hodge explains Ethan's evolution
- 'Graceland' costar Vanessa Ferlito breaks down 'Chester Cheeto' and Charlie's big lie
- Sean Combs UCLA fight: No felony charge
- Casting Net: Mark Wahlberg, Peter Berg to reteam for 'Mile 22'
- Channing Tatum is 21 and adorable in this video from Fashion Week 2002
- Taylor Swift's '1989' leads Nielsen's mid-year charts, naturally