It’s gotten to the point where you can’t throw a copy of Herbie Hancock’s ”Head Hunters” without hitting a neo-trad jazz musician flogging some dubious ”fusion” project. If half were as free-spirited, funky, and unashamedly freaky as this one, there’d be less reason to scoff. Taking off from Miles Davis’ experiments circa ”Bitches Brew,” Payton attempts to funnel a world of jazz experience through his trumpet, from early New Orleans braying and hard-bop barreling to Fela Kuti’s Afrobeat and the electro-hybridizations of Jon Hassell and Ben Neill. Throw in broken-bottle percussion, synth noise, and Payton’s woozy, Satchmo-style dancehall scatting, and you have one crazy jazz house party. SMOKIN’ ”Cannabis Leaf Rag 1” begins with sampled LP surface noise, recalling – and then forgetting – ”Maple Leaf Rag” as it drifts off the ragtime-space continuum. History lessons can be fun.
Sonic Trance It's gotten to the point where you can't throw a copy of Herbie Hancock's ''Head Hunters'' without hitting a neo-trad jazz musician flogging some...Sonic TranceJazz It's gotten to the point where you can't throw a copy of Herbie Hancock's ''Head Hunters'' without hitting a neo-trad jazz musician flogging some...2003-09-05
Genre: Jazz; Lead Performer: Nicholas Payton; Producer (group): Warner Bros.
Posted September 5 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- George R.R. Martin reveals which religion inspired that 'Game of Thrones' cult
- How 50 Cent's near-fatal shooting wound up being a key part of 'Power'
- 'Game of Thrones' showrunner on why those two paths crossed now: 'this just felt right'
- 'Veep': What's next for Selina Meyer and Tom James
- Anne Meara, veteran actress and half of Stiller and Meara comedy team, dies at 85
- David Letterman tribute on Indy 500 car
- Cannes 2015: 'Dheepan' wins Palme d'Or
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- George & Amal, the Rock, Anne Hathaway & More!