It’s gotten to the point where you can’t throw a copy of Herbie Hancock’s ”Head Hunters” without hitting a neo-trad jazz musician flogging some dubious ”fusion” project. If half were as free-spirited, funky, and unashamedly freaky as this one, there’d be less reason to scoff. Taking off from Miles Davis’ experiments circa ”Bitches Brew,” Payton attempts to funnel a world of jazz experience through his trumpet, from early New Orleans braying and hard-bop barreling to Fela Kuti’s Afrobeat and the electro-hybridizations of Jon Hassell and Ben Neill. Throw in broken-bottle percussion, synth noise, and Payton’s woozy, Satchmo-style dancehall scatting, and you have one crazy jazz house party. SMOKIN’ ”Cannabis Leaf Rag 1” begins with sampled LP surface noise, recalling – and then forgetting – ”Maple Leaf Rag” as it drifts off the ragtime-space continuum. History lessons can be fun.
Sonic Trance It's gotten to the point where you can't throw a copy of Herbie Hancock's ''Head Hunters'' without hitting a neo-trad jazz musician flogging some...Sonic TranceJazz It's gotten to the point where you can't throw a copy of Herbie Hancock's ''Head Hunters'' without hitting a neo-trad jazz musician flogging some...2003-09-05
Genre: Jazz; Lead Performer: Nicholas Payton; Producer (group): Warner Bros.
Posted September 5 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- See the first trailer for Michael Bay's Benghazi movie
- Did 'Scream' just reveal the killer?
- Cindy Crawford is developing NBC series about fashion in the '80s
- Chris Pine reportedly signed for 'Wonder Woman'
- 'Orange Is the New Black': What happened to Nicky Nichols?
- 'Empire' creator goes behind the scenes of 'American Crime Story'
- 'SYTYCD' mentor blog: Travis Wall talks controversial elimination
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- #50Scoops50Days: Keep up with the latest in fall TV news
- Ashley Madison profiles for TV's most famous adulterers
- The Hemsworths, Eva Longoria, Tom Cruise & More!