Clancy must really like typing the words Jack Ryan, because now that his ex–CIA analyst/ex-President is no longer remotely credible as an action hero, the author spins his latest eerily prescient tale of spies and Islamic fundamentalist madmen around, conveniently enough, Ryan’s son. And so it’s Jack Jr. who takes a job at ”The Campus,” a privately funded outfit exterminating terrorist threats when the government can’t. Prose has never been Clancy’s strong suit – we’re subjected to more of his ham-fistedly repetitive passages (Tiger really could’ve used stronger editing or, at the very least, proofreading) – but even his vaunted plotting is getting creaky: How could all three of The Campus’ new recruits be in the same family?! At a mere 431 pages, Tiger is half as long as most Clancy opuses, and by the time we get to its air ball of a finale – in which what passes for the bad guy is literally poked in the ass – it feels like the best half is missing.
The Teeth of the Tiger Clancy must really like typing the words Jack Ryan, because now that his ex--CIA analyst/ex-President is no longer remotely credible as an action hero,...The Teeth of the TigerFiction, Mystery and ThrillerTom Clancy Clancy must really like typing the words Jack Ryan, because now that his ex--CIA analyst/ex-President is no longer remotely credible as an action hero,...2003-09-05Putnam
Genre: Fiction, Mystery and Thriller; Author: Tom Clancy; Publisher: Putnam
Posted September 5 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Stevie Wonder and Andra Day cover a Christmas classic in new Apple commercial
- 'The Man in the High Castle' postmortem: Episode 6, 'Three Monkeys'
- Michael B. Jordan on boxing in 'Creed': 'Every punch is a line'
- Fox News contributor gets death threats for mocking 'Star Wars' fans
- Glenn Danzig shares stories behind songs on new covers album
- See 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' come to life in 'Disney Infinity 3.0'
- Will Smith says there 'might be a future' for him in politics
- Holiday Gift Guide: For the TV Fanatic
- 19 TV Families That Will Make You Thankful for Yours
- Literature's 8 Most Dysfunctional Thanksgiving Dinners
- 'Captain America: Civil War': Decoding the New Trailer
- EW's Entertainers of the Year pick their Entertainers of the Year
- EW's 2015 Entertainers of the Year