When Chow’s nameless Tibetan monk teams with Scott’s American pickpocket Kar to protect an ancient and powerful scroll from Nazis, the resulting East-meets-West collision is a mess to which no country would want to lay claim. With gravity-defying stunts (Chow fights while clinging to a flying helicopter), snarling villains, and a baroque torture chamber, Monk seems to promise an edgy slice of comic-book-based fun. Too bad even Chow’s dignified performance can’t elevate it above an inane ”Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon” wannabe whose idea of metaphysical philosophy includes hackneyed questions like ”Why do hot dogs come in packages of 10, while hot dog buns come in packages of just eight?” EXTRAS Par-for-the-course making-ofs, an alternate ending, and thankfully deleted scenes that include a witless subplot about a street gang that helps Kar and love interest Jade (Jaime King) rescue the monk.
Genre: Action/Adventure; Starring: Seann William Scott, Chow Yun-Fat, Marcus Jean Pirae, James King, Mako, Karel Roden, Victoria Smurfit; Director: Paul Hunter; Author: Ethan Reiff, Cyrus Voris; Producer (person): John Woo; Release Date Wide: 04/16/2003; Runtime (in minutes): 104; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: MGM
Posted September 12 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Graceland' postmortem: Is Paige in over her head?
- 'Wet Hot' creators provide teases for 40 characters in the prequel
- Patricia Arquette to voice witch in 'Troll: The Rise of Harry Potter Jr.'
- Caitlyn Jenner practices her 'feminine voice' in 'I Am Cait' clip
- Dwayne Johnson on Hulk Hogan's racist rant: 'We've all talked trash'
- Jared Padalecki posted his first-ever #TBT: 13 more 'Supernatural' throwbacks
- Betty White is furious about the killing of Cecil the lion
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Jennifer Lopez, Brad Pitt, Candace & Lori and More!