The producer of ”The Dating Game” and ”The Gong Show” was also a contract killer for the CIA. Or so Chuck Barris claimed in his ”unauthorized autobiography,” on which George Clooney’s directorial debut, Confessions of a Dangerous Mind, is based. But whether grand delusion or audacious put-on, Barris’ double life is compulsively watchable – especially during his missions abroad, with his mystery-lady contact (Julia Roberts). Screenwriter Charlie Kaufman (”Adaptation”) has conceived the foreign intrigue as a sleek, sardonic spy spoof, and Clooney improves the joke by playing it deadpan straight. Still, the film goes a little flat at the end when you realize that they’ve never really gotten inside that so-called dangerous noggin. EXTRAS The banter between Clooney and cinematographer Newton Thomas Sigel makes for an amusing (and informative) commentary; the deleted scenes that shouldn’t have been include Barris’ first botched hit and girlfriend Drew Barrymore’s suicide attempt – their inclusion might have helped ”Confessions” ring a little truer.
(Confessions of a Dangerous Mind: Takashi Seida)
Genre: Drama, Comedy; Starring: Drew Barrymore, Sam Rockwell, George Clooney, Rutger Hauer, Matt Damon, Julia Roberts, Fred Savage; Director: George Clooney; Author: Charlie Kaufman; Producer (person): Andrew Lazar, Steven Soderbergh; Release Date Wide: 12/27/2002; Runtime (in minutes): 113; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Miramax
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- Five Broadway tickets to snag before Tony nominations make it impossible
- 'Star Wars': 5 revelations from Carrie Fisher at Celebration Q&A
- 'Batman v Superman' trailer is here; official release by Zack Snyder follows leak
- Never-before-seen passage from Madeleine L'Engle's 'A Wrinkle in Time' found
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Naomi Campbell, Jessica & Rosario, the Star Wars Cast & More