Reynolds is one of those rare writers whose sentences are so lyrical it’s easy to become lost in one paragraph, rereading for the pure pleasure of the cadences. For a time, one can ignore the fact that her first novel is burdened by problems with structure and pacing that occur too frequently when writers of short fiction attempt to go long. The story follows Helene Strickland, a prodigal daughter returning home to rural Arkansas to confront the mother who had abandoned her as a child. While the characters are engagingly dramatic and eccentric (Helene’s grandmother was nameless until she turned 17), ”Knee-Deep” is never as gripping as it could be.
Knee-Deep In Wonder Reynolds is one of those rare writers whose sentences are so lyrical it's easy to become lost in one paragraph, rereading for the pure pleasure of the...Knee-Deep In WonderFictionApril Reynolds Reynolds is one of those rare writers whose sentences are so lyrical it's easy to become lost in one paragraph, rereading for the pure pleasure of the...2003-09-12
Genre: Fiction; Author: April Reynolds
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- Five Broadway tickets to snag before Tony nominations make it impossible
- 'Star Wars': 5 revelations from Carrie Fisher at Celebration Q&A
- 'Batman v Superman' trailer is here; official release by Zack Snyder follows leak
- Never-before-seen passage from Madeleine L'Engle's 'A Wrinkle in Time' found
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Naomi Campbell, Jessica & Rosario, the Star Wars Cast & More