Reynolds is one of those rare writers whose sentences are so lyrical it’s easy to become lost in one paragraph, rereading for the pure pleasure of the cadences. For a time, one can ignore the fact that her first novel is burdened by problems with structure and pacing that occur too frequently when writers of short fiction attempt to go long. The story follows Helene Strickland, a prodigal daughter returning home to rural Arkansas to confront the mother who had abandoned her as a child. While the characters are engagingly dramatic and eccentric (Helene’s grandmother was nameless until she turned 17), ”Knee-Deep” is never as gripping as it could be.
Knee-Deep In Wonder Reynolds is one of those rare writers whose sentences are so lyrical it's easy to become lost in one paragraph, rereading for the pure pleasure of the...Knee-Deep In WonderFictionApril Reynolds Reynolds is one of those rare writers whose sentences are so lyrical it's easy to become lost in one paragraph, rereading for the pure pleasure of the...2003-09-12
Genre: Fiction; Author: April Reynolds
Posted September 12 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Meek Mill hits back at Drake with diss track 'Wanna Know'
- 'Graceland' postmortem: Is Paige in over her head?
- 'Wet Hot' creators provide teases for 40 characters in the prequel
- Patricia Arquette to voice witch in 'Troll: The Rise of Harry Potter Jr.'
- Caitlyn Jenner practices her 'feminine voice' in 'I Am Cait' clip
- Dwayne Johnson on Hulk Hogan's racist rant: 'We've all talked trash'
- Jared Padalecki posted his first-ever #TBT: 13 more 'Supernatural' throwbacks
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Helen Mirren, Tom Cruise, The Baldwins & More!