Gay beach reads are always an iffy proposition – atop the typically eye-roll-worthy sexcapades, they often suffer from a sad overload of stereotypes (the nelly queen, the angry lesbian, the closet case, etc.). Essayist Ford (”It’s Not Mean If It’s True”) doesn’t completely sidestep those literary landmines, but at least he effectively draws his readers into the wild world of Provincetown, Cape Cod’s gay mecca. There, a motley crew – led by Josh Felling, a new arrival trying to forget about his partner’s infidelities at the gym (oh, how original!) – forge their own dysfunctional family while generating plenty of page-turning drama. Though Ford’s story veers toward the boilerplate, his middlebrow prose is a winner, landing somewhere between Jacqueline Susann’s over-the-top opuses and Sidney Sheldon’s addictive reads.
Last Summer Gay beach reads are always an iffy proposition -- atop the typically eye-roll-worthy sexcapades, they often suffer from a sad overload of stereotypes ...Last SummerFictionMichael Thomas Ford Gay beach reads are always an iffy proposition -- atop the typically eye-roll-worthy sexcapades, they often suffer from a sad overload of stereotypes ...2003-09-12
Genre: Fiction; Author: Michael Thomas Ford
Posted September 12 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Cara Delevingne and Dave Franco give James Corden new eyebrows
- Kanye West compares life to 'Meet the Parents' in new interview
- Cara Delevingne and Dave Franco Drop the Mic with James Corden
- The inhabitants of Alice’s Wonderland, ranked
- Beatlemania revisited in Ron Howard's new 'Eight Days a Week' trailer
- Dee Snider releases politically charged 'We're Not Gonna Take It' acoustic video
- Michael Che and Colin Jost hand out free Trump water at DNC
- 'John Tucker Must Die': Where Are They Now?
- 15 Captivating International Crime Thrillers
- 'Planet of the Apes': See the Famous Faces Behind the Makeup
- Toronto Film Festival 2016: See First Look Images From This Year's Lineup
- 'One Tree Hill': Where Are They Now?
- 'Little Miss Sunshine': Where Are They Now?