Gay beach reads are always an iffy proposition – atop the typically eye-roll-worthy sexcapades, they often suffer from a sad overload of stereotypes (the nelly queen, the angry lesbian, the closet case, etc.). Essayist Ford (”It’s Not Mean If It’s True”) doesn’t completely sidestep those literary landmines, but at least he effectively draws his readers into the wild world of Provincetown, Cape Cod’s gay mecca. There, a motley crew – led by Josh Felling, a new arrival trying to forget about his partner’s infidelities at the gym (oh, how original!) – forge their own dysfunctional family while generating plenty of page-turning drama. Though Ford’s story veers toward the boilerplate, his middlebrow prose is a winner, landing somewhere between Jacqueline Susann’s over-the-top opuses and Sidney Sheldon’s addictive reads.
Last Summer Gay beach reads are always an iffy proposition -- atop the typically eye-roll-worthy sexcapades, they often suffer from a sad overload of stereotypes ...Last SummerFictionMichael Thomas Ford Gay beach reads are always an iffy proposition -- atop the typically eye-roll-worthy sexcapades, they often suffer from a sad overload of stereotypes ...2003-09-12
Genre: Fiction; Author: Michael Thomas Ford
Posted September 12 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: Ryan Reynolds reacts to 'Deadpool' costars' viral moment
- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: Ryan Reynolds on the man who made his 'penis look perfect'
- Adele's 'Carpool Karaoke' clip smashes YouTube records
- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: Ryan Reynolds remembers first date with Blake Lively
- Kanye West announces free livestream of Yeezy Season 3
- Waiting for new Harry Potter books, ranked
- Lee Majors to play Ash's dad on 'Ash vs Evil Dead'
- 30 Exclusive First Look Photos at the New Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- This Is What the Grammys Looked Like in 1996
- 'Beautiful Girls': Where Are They Now?
- 15 Musicians Who Banned Candidates From Using Their Songs
- See '90s Stars at the 1996 'Broken Arrow' Premiere
- 35 Tom Hiddleston Photos For His 35th Birthday