Since H.G. Wells’ landmark ”The Time Machine,” depictions of temporal journeys tend to be an amalgam of science and fantasy. ”Wife,” however, is a love story in which time travel plays a supporting role. Here, librarian Henry suffers from a genetic condition that unpredictably flings him through the past and future, and his jaunts fuel his lifelong relationship with artist wife Clare. (A sexy premise indeed: Film rights have already been snapped up by New Line with Brad Pitt attached to produce and star.) The comparison of wistful Clare to Penelope, patiently awaiting the return of her Odysseus, may be a stretch – a timeless romance this is not. Still, Niffenegger’s inventive and poignant outing is well worth a trip.
The Time Traveler's Wife Since H.G. Wells' landmark ''The Time Machine,'' depictions of temporal journeys tend to be an amalgam of science and fantasy. ''Wife,'' however, is a...The Time Traveler's WifeSci-fi and FantasyAudrey Niffenegger Since H.G. Wells' landmark ''The Time Machine,'' depictions of temporal journeys tend to be an amalgam of science and fantasy. ''Wife,'' however, is a...2003-09-12
Genre: Sci-fi and Fantasy; Author: Audrey Niffenegger
Posted September 12 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Westworld': Who is secretly a robot?
- 'Pretty Little Liars' stars react to final day of filming
- Michael Massee, Actor Who Played '24' Villain Ira Gaines, Dies at 61
- 'Mad Men' creator Matthew Weiner lines up Amazon anthology series
- Box office preview: Tom Hanks' 'Inferno' to catch fire at No. 1
- Hillary Clinton on Adele's endorsement: 'It meant a lot to me'
- 'Westworld': New photos plus episode titles give clues
- The 16 Best Halloween Movies to Stream Right Now
- Hillary Clinton Through The Years
- 'Hamilton' Stars Go Old-School for Vintage Portraits
- 'The Walking Dead': Exclusive Season Premiere Storyboards
- 'Gilmore Girls' Trailer: A Deep Dive Into the Return to Stars Hollow
- 15 Ultimate Halloween Movie Picks, From Horror-Loving Actors and Filmmakers