Was that smooch the kiss of death? Madonna’s passing of the video-vixen tongue to Britney Spears sucked the life out of MTV’s 20th Video Music Awards. Aug. 28’s event had guests awaiting the after-parties: ”I’m going to do what I’m supposed to do,” growled DMX, ”then I’m out.” Still, there were notable moments. Coldplay landed three Moonmen, while everyone from Justin Timberlake to Method Man paid homage to hospitalized nominee Johnny Cash, who cashed in for cinematography. Missy Elliott, who went in 0 for 23 as a vocalist, shook the Susan Lucci curse with two wins for ”Work It.” ”All of [Missy’s] videos deserve an award,” said Beyonce, whose ”Crazy in Love” scored a hat trick. At least they’ll remember the ‘03 VMAs as more than just a kiss.
Posted September 12 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Vine star thanks little boy who stood up to her catcaller
- The new 'Men in Black' movie will have a woman in black
- Bindi Irwin hopes father Steve would be proud of her 'DWTS' win
- Bob Saget says Bill Cosby's reputation is now 'tarnished'
- 'The Hateful Eight' cast and crew nerds-out on 70 mm 'road show' cut
- John Stamos sentenced to 3 years probation for DUI
- Former Red Hot Chili Peppers guitarist John Frusciante releases free new music
- Taraji P. Henson's Biggest Moments in 2015
- Holiday Gift Guide: For the TV Fanatic
- 19 TV Families That Will Make You Thankful for Yours
- Literature's 8 Most Dysfunctional Thanksgiving Dinners
- 'Captain America: Civil War': Decoding the New Trailer
- EW's Entertainers of the Year pick their Entertainers of the Year