Was that smooch the kiss of death? Madonna’s passing of the video-vixen tongue to Britney Spears sucked the life out of MTV’s 20th Video Music Awards. Aug. 28’s event had guests awaiting the after-parties: ”I’m going to do what I’m supposed to do,” growled DMX, ”then I’m out.” Still, there were notable moments. Coldplay landed three Moonmen, while everyone from Justin Timberlake to Method Man paid homage to hospitalized nominee Johnny Cash, who cashed in for cinematography. Missy Elliott, who went in 0 for 23 as a vocalist, shook the Susan Lucci curse with two wins for ”Work It.” ”All of [Missy’s] videos deserve an award,” said Beyonce, whose ”Crazy in Love” scored a hat trick. At least they’ll remember the ‘03 VMAs as more than just a kiss.
Posted September 12 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- LAPD: No evidence of crime in Amber Heard abuse claim against Johnny Depp
- Former 'Glee' star Mark Salling formally charged in child porn case
- John Cena, WWE Superstars honor U.S. military in Memorial Day tribute
- Mel Brooks was 'ready to jump off a roof' over 'Solarbabies' fiasco
- WATCH: 'X-Men: Apocalypse' stars build their ideal mutant garage band
- James Cameron's 'Alita: Battle Angel' casts Rosa Salazar as lead
- WATCH: Dierks Bentley on what influenced new album 'Black'
- The Best Summer Vacations in Movies
- See Exclusive Behind-the-Scenes Photos From Disney Channel Original Movies
- Getting 'Close' With Nick Jonas: See EW's Exclusive Cover Shoot
- Carpool Karaoke: James Corden's Most-Watched Videos
- The Most Famous Swimsuit Scenes From TV and Movies
- See All of Entertainment Weekly's X-Men Covers