Although DVD compilations are a treat for aficionados of any beloved TV series, in the case of Stephen Cannell’s ”Wiseguy”, they’re practically a necessity. Its serialized structure – in which story lines were played out in multi-episode mini-epics – was a groundbreaking claim to fame but also a programming handicap that rendered the 1987 – 90 CBS drama nearly invisible in syndication. In this collection, Ken Wahl stars as federal agent Vinnie Terranova, who infiltrates the Atlantic City fiefdom of Mob boss Sonny Steelgrave (Ray Sharkey, in a chilling performance) almost too successfully. As Wahl relates in a pair of audio commentaries, Vinnie discovers a sympathetic brother figure in his would-be nemesis. In Steelgrave (as well as the series’ subsequent mercurial villains), ”Wiseguy” inaugurated a new kind of filmic gangster – brutal and sensitive, angsty and verbose – whose lineage extends to the multidimensional sociopaths of such shows as ”The Sopranos” and ”The Wire”.
Wiseguy: Season 1 Part 1 Although DVD compilations are a treat for aficionados of any beloved TV series, in the case of Stephen Cannell's ''Wiseguy'', they're practically a...Wiseguy: Season 1 Part 1Unrated Although DVD compilations are a treat for aficionados of any beloved TV series, in the case of Stephen Cannell's ''Wiseguy'', they're practically a...2003-09-12
MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted September 12 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.': Is Philinda finally going to happen?
- Adele endorses Hillary Clinton at Miami concert
- Stephen Colbert compares Donald Trump to Voldemort
- 'This Is Us': Dan Fogelman breaks down Jack and William revelations
- Trump-inspired 'Law & Order: SVU' episode gets post-election air date
- 'This Is Us': Milo Ventimiglia on Jack's fate
- 'Gilmore Girls' revival: New posters feature three generations, plus Luke
- 'The Walking Dead': Exclusive Season Premiere Storyboards
- 'Gilmore Girls' Trailer: A Deep Dive Into the Return to Stars Hollow
- 15 Ultimate Halloween Movie Picks, From Horror-Loving Actors and Filmmakers
- This Is What the 2001 CMAs Looked Like
- 'Smallville': Where Are They Now?
- Flashback to Taylor Swift's First Album Drop