Holy shinizzle! Jamie Kennedy’s parody of suburban teens afflicted with ”gangstaphrenia” makes for a more original comedy than one expects from TV-born skits. Wannabe rapper B-Rad (Kennedy, playing a character from his own WB show, The Jamie Kennedy Experiment) embarrasses his politician father (Ryan O’Neal). So Dad’s campaign manager (Blair Underwood) hires two effete actors (Diggs and Anthony Anderson) for a kidnapping scheme that turns unexpectedly real. The formulaoddball longs for acceptance has been done, but the cast’s enthusiasm, and the filmmakers’ creative restraint (check out the 11 wisely deleted scenes), keep ”Wanted” alive. EXTRAS The commentary asserts that the rap battle scene was written pre-Eminem’s ”8 Mile”, not that it appears any fresher.
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Jamie Kennedy, Anthony Anderson, Bo Derek, Taye Diggs, Regina Hall, Ryan O'Neal, Nick Swardson, Blair Underwood; Director: John Whitesell; Author: Nick Swardson; Release Date Wide: 04/18/2003; Runtime (in minutes): 86; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Warner Bros.
Posted September 19 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.' sneak peek offers hint at director's identity
- Mythbusters spin-off gets Nerdist host
- Emma Watson narrates powerful short film on gender equality
- 'The Good Place': Kristen Bell reveals fun facts on Twitter
- John Carpenter's eerie new music video is 'an android's nightmare'
- Sarah Jessica Parker: More 'Sex and the City' is 'always a possibility'
- Final chapter in 'Rogue One' toy story shorts unveiled