Holy shinizzle! Jamie Kennedy’s parody of suburban teens afflicted with ”gangstaphrenia” makes for a more original comedy than one expects from TV-born skits. Wannabe rapper B-Rad (Kennedy, playing a character from his own WB show, The Jamie Kennedy Experiment) embarrasses his politician father (Ryan O’Neal). So Dad’s campaign manager (Blair Underwood) hires two effete actors (Diggs and Anthony Anderson) for a kidnapping scheme that turns unexpectedly real. The formulaoddball longs for acceptance has been done, but the cast’s enthusiasm, and the filmmakers’ creative restraint (check out the 11 wisely deleted scenes), keep ”Wanted” alive. EXTRAS The commentary asserts that the rap battle scene was written pre-Eminem’s ”8 Mile”, not that it appears any fresher.
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Jamie Kennedy, Anthony Anderson, Bo Derek, Taye Diggs, Regina Hall, Ryan O'Neal, Nick Swardson, Blair Underwood; Director: John Whitesell; Author: Nick Swardson; Release Date Wide: 04/18/2003; Runtime (in minutes): 86; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Warner Bros.
Posted September 19 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Planned Parenthood applauds 'Jane the Virgin' for discussing abortion
- 'Inferno' director Ron Howard spills on the film's spooky sensibility
- 'Orphan Black' Facebook Live reveals 20 minutes of season 5 production
- Jeff VanderMeer's 'Borne': Read an exclusive excerpt
- Watch the official trailer for 'Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life'
- Why 'A Nightmare on Elm Street' is the perfect Halloween movie
- Laverne Cox punts to Nicki Minaj in 'Lip Sync Battle' clip