Holy shinizzle! Jamie Kennedy’s parody of suburban teens afflicted with ”gangstaphrenia” makes for a more original comedy than one expects from TV-born skits. Wannabe rapper B-Rad (Kennedy, playing a character from his own WB show, The Jamie Kennedy Experiment) embarrasses his politician father (Ryan O’Neal). So Dad’s campaign manager (Blair Underwood) hires two effete actors (Diggs and Anthony Anderson) for a kidnapping scheme that turns unexpectedly real. The formulaoddball longs for acceptance has been done, but the cast’s enthusiasm, and the filmmakers’ creative restraint (check out the 11 wisely deleted scenes), keep ”Wanted” alive. EXTRAS The commentary asserts that the rap battle scene was written pre-Eminem’s ”8 Mile”, not that it appears any fresher.
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Jamie Kennedy, Anthony Anderson, Bo Derek, Taye Diggs, Regina Hall, Ryan O'Neal, Nick Swardson, Blair Underwood; Director: John Whitesell; Author: Nick Swardson; Release Date Wide: 04/18/2003; Runtime (in minutes): 86; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Warner Bros.
Posted September 19 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Supergirl': That big casualty 'weighs heavy' on Kara
- J.K. Simmons and Julie Delpy lead 'The Bachelors'
- Robert Schwentke drops out as director of final 'Divergent' film, 'Ascendant'
- Will Smith's 'Collateral Beauty' will go head-to-head with 'Rogue One'
- See 100 years of zombie evolution in time-lapse video
- Matt LeBlanc sitcom 'I'm Not Your Friend' gets pilot, series commitment at CBS
- 'The Magicians' postmortem: Does Julia regret nearly killing Quentin?