Arch Gold has a problem – and it’s not his absurd name. NYC’s top public defender is assigned the case of Damon Tucker, a hotheaded black college kid up for a murder-robbery he didn’t commit, the state’s first death penalty trial in decades. But that’s not his problem either. Gold’s problem is that he’s a smart, wry, no-nonsense narrator thrown into the banal vagaries of a sub-Grisham legal thriller. Heilbrun, himself a public defender since 1989 (natch), nimbly constructs Tucker’s case, making even the most mundane rules of evidence seem compelling. But when he wades into pulpier territory – the computer disc stolen from the desk of the shrink who may have been killed by the vaguely dangerous CEO – Heilbrun perpetrates gross negligence against his hero.
Offer of Proof Arch Gold has a problem -- and it's not his absurd name. NYC's top public defender is assigned the case of Damon Tucker, a hotheaded black college kid...Offer of ProofFictionRobert Heilbrun Arch Gold has a problem -- and it's not his absurd name. NYC's top public defender is assigned the case of Damon Tucker, a hotheaded black college kid...2003-09-19
Genre: Fiction; Author: Robert Heilbrun
Posted September 19 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Breaking Bad' actor calls for more people with disabilities in Hollywood
- WATCH: Exclusive clip from 'Light Between Oceans'
- Stars put Jimmy Fallon to shame in dramatic game of Musical Beers
- The Must List: Sunday's VMAs, new Frank Ocean, and more
- Dave Grohl and Prophets of Rage cover the MC5's 'Kick Out the Jams'
- Donald Trump, Hillary Clinton, 'Seinfeld' cast 'bonked' by Jimmy Fallon
- Seth Meyers revises offer for Donald Trump show 'Chicago President'
- Flashback to the 2001 'Summer Catch' Premiere
- Fall Movie Preview 2016: 'Fantastic Beasts,' 'Rogue One,' and 76 Other Films
- Flashback to the 1996 MTV Video Music Awards
- See All of EW's Fall Movie Preview Covers
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your comedy nominees are...
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your drama nominees are...