Arch Gold has a problem – and it’s not his absurd name. NYC’s top public defender is assigned the case of Damon Tucker, a hotheaded black college kid up for a murder-robbery he didn’t commit, the state’s first death penalty trial in decades. But that’s not his problem either. Gold’s problem is that he’s a smart, wry, no-nonsense narrator thrown into the banal vagaries of a sub-Grisham legal thriller. Heilbrun, himself a public defender since 1989 (natch), nimbly constructs Tucker’s case, making even the most mundane rules of evidence seem compelling. But when he wades into pulpier territory – the computer disc stolen from the desk of the shrink who may have been killed by the vaguely dangerous CEO – Heilbrun perpetrates gross negligence against his hero.
Offer of Proof Arch Gold has a problem -- and it's not his absurd name. NYC's top public defender is assigned the case of Damon Tucker, a hotheaded black college kid...Offer of ProofFictionRobert Heilbrun Arch Gold has a problem -- and it's not his absurd name. NYC's top public defender is assigned the case of Damon Tucker, a hotheaded black college kid...2003-09-19
Genre: Fiction; Author: Robert Heilbrun
Posted September 19 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- A$AP Rocky dropped his new album at midnight
- Even Taylor Swift's mom thought it was 'Starbucks lovers'
- Two of B.B. King's daughters allege father was poisoned by employees
- Hear Icona Pop's new single 'Emergency'
- 'It' on hold; director Cary Fukunaga exits
- 'Jurassic World' director Colin Trevorrow dishes on deadly new dino Indominus Rex
- Drake: 'Madonna' out, 'Rihanna' in?
- 15 scary movies we saw as kids... that still haunt our nightmares
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- George & Amal, Prince Harry, Ansel Elgort & More!