What Are They? Coffee-table-book coffee tables created by the Boym Studio and featured in Alexander Payne and James Zemaitis’ The Coffee Table Coffee Table Book (Black Dog, $45). Coffee Tables? That’s right. The book spotlights more than 130 of them, from 1915 to the present. ”It’s an homage to this object we all use and rest our feet on,” says Payne. Um, Doesn’t This Seem Familiar? Payne gives props to the 1994 Seinfeld episode in which Kramer touts his own coffee-table-book coffee table on Live With Regis & Kathie Lee. But the idea first got legs from Boym two years earlier. Why Not a Book on Chairs? ”What one has on a coffee table is a kind of resume of who we are as individuals,” says Payne. And What’s on Payne’s Coffee Table? ”Haven’t got one at the moment,” admits Payne, who’s moving into a new home. ”But usually my reference books and my fruit juice.” – Nancy Sidewater
Posted September 19 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Star Wars: Aftermath': Finding Han Solo for a quick galactic run
- Kanye West sends Taylor Swift flowers after the 2015 VMAs
- Aretha Franklin blocks Telluride screening of 'Amazing Grace'
- Hear Charlie Puth cover Drake's 'Hotline Bling' with Kehlani
- Check out the thrilling 'Arrow' season 4 trailer
- Mr. Bean's 25th anniversary marked outside Buckingham Palace
- Joan Rivers remembered by daughter Melissa in touching tribute
- Force Friday: See Hasbro's 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' toys
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- Johnny Depp, Gabrielle Union, Karlie Kloss & More!