John Malkovich has set himself apart, again, in a discriminating directorial debut. Placed in an unnamed Latin American country, the thriller follows a frustrated lawyer – turned – virtuous police captain (the smoldering Bardem) who must disarm a rebel faction before it tears his country apart. Simultaneously, the crime fighter tries to combat his attraction to his daughter’s elusive ballet teacher (Morante). It’s the intricate plot – which quietly examines a torn man’s rectitude – and Bardem’s vibrant performance that leave an indelible mark. EXTRAS Skip the long-winded commentary from Bardem and Malkovich: The film’s mysteries are explored in an engaging featurette with Malkovich, Bardem, and screenwriter Nicholas Shakespeare.
Genre: Drama; Starring: Javier Bardem, John Malkovich, Laura Morante, Wolframio Benavides, Juan Diego Botto, Elvira Minguez, Laura Morante; Director: John Malkovich; Author: Nicholas Shakespeare; Runtime (in minutes): 135; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Fox Searchlight Pictures
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- The first trailer for Season 11 of 'The Bachelorette' is here
- 'Originals' boss breaks down latest shockers, previews a devastating finale
- 'Ant-Man' gets a tiny billboard campaign
- Django Django unveil trippy, magenta-hued video for 'Beginning to Fade'
- 'Agents of SHIELD' spinoff to star Adrianne Palicki, Nick Blood
- AC/DC drummer Phil Rudd pleads guilty
- 'Pan' release pushed to October from July
- ACM Awards 2015 red carpet style: We grade the looks
- ACM Awards 2015 red carpet arrivals: What they wore
- Blake Lively in 'Age of Adaline': Style when you're forever 29
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- Katy Perry, Tim & Faith, Blake Lively and More!