John Malkovich has set himself apart, again, in a discriminating directorial debut. Placed in an unnamed Latin American country, the thriller follows a frustrated lawyer – turned – virtuous police captain (the smoldering Bardem) who must disarm a rebel faction before it tears his country apart. Simultaneously, the crime fighter tries to combat his attraction to his daughter’s elusive ballet teacher (Morante). It’s the intricate plot – which quietly examines a torn man’s rectitude – and Bardem’s vibrant performance that leave an indelible mark. EXTRAS Skip the long-winded commentary from Bardem and Malkovich: The film’s mysteries are explored in an engaging featurette with Malkovich, Bardem, and screenwriter Nicholas Shakespeare.
Genre: Drama; Starring: Javier Bardem, John Malkovich, Laura Morante, Wolframio Benavides, Juan Diego Botto, Elvira Minguez, Laura Morante; Director: John Malkovich; Author: Nicholas Shakespeare; Release Date Limited: 05/02/2003; Status: In Season; Runtime (in minutes): 135; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Fox Searchlight Pictures
Posted September 26 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Arrow' star Stephen Amell is headed to WWE's 'Monday Night RAW'
- Calvin Harris' How Deep Is Your Love' music video stars Gigi Hadid
- Alexander Skarsgård dressed in drag for 'Teenage Girl' premiere
- 'UnREAL' postmortem: Creators talk finale, look ahead to season 2
- 'Monty Python and the Holy Grail' will be back in theaters this fall
- Meet the Ares 3 crew in new clip from 'The Martian'
- Gillian Flynn returns to some 'Dark Places'