John Malkovich has set himself apart, again, in a discriminating directorial debut. Placed in an unnamed Latin American country, the thriller follows a frustrated lawyer – turned – virtuous police captain (the smoldering Bardem) who must disarm a rebel faction before it tears his country apart. Simultaneously, the crime fighter tries to combat his attraction to his daughter’s elusive ballet teacher (Morante). It’s the intricate plot – which quietly examines a torn man’s rectitude – and Bardem’s vibrant performance that leave an indelible mark. EXTRAS Skip the long-winded commentary from Bardem and Malkovich: The film’s mysteries are explored in an engaging featurette with Malkovich, Bardem, and screenwriter Nicholas Shakespeare.
Genre: Drama; Starring: Javier Bardem, John Malkovich, Laura Morante, Wolframio Benavides, Juan Diego Botto, Elvira Minguez, Laura Morante; Director: John Malkovich; Author: Nicholas Shakespeare; Release Date Limited: 05/02/2003; Runtime (in minutes): 135; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Fox Searchlight Pictures
Posted September 26 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'NCIS: LA' sneak peek: Callen is going rogue
- 'Hindsight' canceled by VH1
- Listen to 'The Unauthorized O.C. Musical' cast sing 'California'
- Ellen Page says it's 'borderline offensive' to call actors brave for playing LGBTQ roles
- How 'Hannibal' was 'The Sopranos'
- Everything you need to know about 'The Unauthorized O.C. Musical'
- Michael B. Jordan may bare his fangs in MGM's 'Blood Brothers'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Céline Dion, Aaron Paul, Kate & Hayden and More!