The singer who painted her masterpiece with 2000’s ”I Am Shelby Lynne” squandered a lot of goodwill with an overwrought follow-up, but she’ll win it back with ”Identity Crisis.” Lynne is so in her element with this self-produced, mostly self-performed, largely acoustic set of folk-soul that you have to believe the title’s a deliberate misnomer. There’s variety in ”Crisis”’ intimacy, from the gospel blues of ”10 Rocks” to the Patsy homage ”Lonesome,” though Lynne’s at her hear-a-pin-drop best assaying the moment when emotional masochism reaches its limits in ”I Don’t Think So.”
Identity Crisis The singer who painted her masterpiece with 2000's ''I Am Shelby Lynne'' squandered a lot of goodwill with an overwrought follow-up, but she'll win it...Identity Crisis The singer who painted her masterpiece with 2000's ''I Am Shelby Lynne'' squandered a lot of goodwill with an overwrought follow-up, but she'll win it...2003-09-26
Lead Performer: Shelby Lynne; Producer (group): Capitol
Posted September 26 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Kelly Rowland at Essence Fest previews BET series to find next great girl group
- The Nathan's Hot Dog Eating contest crowned a new champion on July 4
- Michael Douglas' mother dies at 92
- Hello Kitty movie targeted for 2019
- 'Suicide Squad' on-set photo: Harley Quinn birthday cake for Margot Robbie
- Caitlyn Jenner 'proud to be an American'
- Lil Wayne: 'Free Weezy Album' on Tidal
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Garcelle Beauvais, Kylie Jenner, Serena Williams & More!