Nobody dreams up more colorful names than Burke. In Dave Robicheaux’s latest case, the New Iberia, La., detective crosses paths with insurance huckster Cash Money Mouton, smut peddler Fat Sammy Figorelli, and brutal prison guard Cain’t-See to Cain’t-See Double-Time Strunk. Burke crafts equally vivid descriptions of these lowlifes (Mouton ”smelled of deodorant, hair tonic, and fear”). But the plot strains to link a legendary bluesman’s decades-ago disappearance, a teenage girl’s drunken-driving death, and an alleged IRA hitman’s plan to whack a priest during confession. While ”Last Car” ultimately careens into convolution, it’s still an enjoyable ride.
Last Car To Elysian Fields Nobody dreams up more colorful names than Burke. In Dave Robicheaux's latest case, the New Iberia, La., detective crosses paths with insurance...Last Car To Elysian FieldsFiction, Mystery and ThrillerJames Lee Burke Nobody dreams up more colorful names than Burke. In Dave Robicheaux's latest case, the New Iberia, La., detective crosses paths with insurance...2003-09-26
Genre: Fiction, Mystery and Thriller; Author: James Lee Burke
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- 'Person of Interest' post-mortem: Showrunners talk emotional finale and the return of Taraji P. Henson
- 'Agents of SHIELD': Inside the tie-in to 'Avengers: Age of Ultron'
- 'Person of Interest' season 4 finale react: A new world order
- 'Forever' exec producer on Henry's secret--safe or out?
- Casting Net: Ashton Kutcher, Josh Hartnett cast in James Franco's 'The Long Home'
- Tom Brokaw vs. cancer: 'Dateline' special
- 'New Girl' react: A modest proposal
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Rob & Kate, Anna Kendrick, Vanessa & Selena and More!