Nobody dreams up more colorful names than Burke. In Dave Robicheaux’s latest case, the New Iberia, La., detective crosses paths with insurance huckster Cash Money Mouton, smut peddler Fat Sammy Figorelli, and brutal prison guard Cain’t-See to Cain’t-See Double-Time Strunk. Burke crafts equally vivid descriptions of these lowlifes (Mouton ”smelled of deodorant, hair tonic, and fear”). But the plot strains to link a legendary bluesman’s decades-ago disappearance, a teenage girl’s drunken-driving death, and an alleged IRA hitman’s plan to whack a priest during confession. While ”Last Car” ultimately careens into convolution, it’s still an enjoyable ride.
Last Car To Elysian Fields Nobody dreams up more colorful names than Burke. In Dave Robicheaux's latest case, the New Iberia, La., detective crosses paths with insurance...Last Car To Elysian FieldsFiction, Mystery and ThrillerJames Lee Burke Nobody dreams up more colorful names than Burke. In Dave Robicheaux's latest case, the New Iberia, La., detective crosses paths with insurance...2003-09-26
Genre: Fiction, Mystery and Thriller; Author: James Lee Burke
Posted September 26 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Empire': Lawsuit claims kids were mistreated during filming at youth detention center
- Classic album covers get the 'Star Wars' treatment
- 'Mr. Robot': Carly Chaikin on the big Darlene shocker
- Prince's Paisley Park estate will open for public tours in October
- 'Another Period': Natasha Leggero, Riki Lindhome on season finale
- Katie Ledecky throws out first pitch as Bryce Harper holds her medals
- 'Serial': Adnan Syed alibi witness shoots down attempts to discredit her
- Flashback to the 2001 'Summer Catch' Premiere
- Fall Movie Preview 2016: 'Fantastic Beasts,' 'Rogue One,' and 76 Other Films
- Flashback to the 1996 MTV Video Music Awards
- See All of EW's Fall Movie Preview Covers
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your comedy nominees are...
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your drama nominees are...