Nobody dreams up more colorful names than Burke. In Dave Robicheaux’s latest case, the New Iberia, La., detective crosses paths with insurance huckster Cash Money Mouton, smut peddler Fat Sammy Figorelli, and brutal prison guard Cain’t-See to Cain’t-See Double-Time Strunk. Burke crafts equally vivid descriptions of these lowlifes (Mouton ”smelled of deodorant, hair tonic, and fear”). But the plot strains to link a legendary bluesman’s decades-ago disappearance, a teenage girl’s drunken-driving death, and an alleged IRA hitman’s plan to whack a priest during confession. While ”Last Car” ultimately careens into convolution, it’s still an enjoyable ride.
Last Car To Elysian Fields Nobody dreams up more colorful names than Burke. In Dave Robicheaux's latest case, the New Iberia, La., detective crosses paths with insurance...Last Car To Elysian FieldsFiction, Mystery and ThrillerJames Lee Burke Nobody dreams up more colorful names than Burke. In Dave Robicheaux's latest case, the New Iberia, La., detective crosses paths with insurance...2003-09-26
Genre: Fiction, Mystery and Thriller; Author: James Lee Burke
Posted September 26 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Arthur Conan Doyle's estate is suing Miramax over 'Mr. Holmes'
- A$AP Rocky and Schoolboy Q shock with 'Electric Body'
- Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen aren't returning for Netflix's 'Fuller House'
- Two more (unofficial) Drake songs leak, including Tinashe collaboration
- Bask in '90s nostalgia with this a ca-mazing 'Boy Meets World' medley
- Eminem to executive produce 'Southpaw' soundtrack: Hear a sneak peek of his new song
- Michael B. Jordan: Why I'm Torching the color line in 'Fantastic Four'
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion (so far)
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 10 hottest tours
- Marion Cotillard, Jason Derulo, Serena Williams and More!