Nobody dreams up more colorful names than Burke. In Dave Robicheaux’s latest case, the New Iberia, La., detective crosses paths with insurance huckster Cash Money Mouton, smut peddler Fat Sammy Figorelli, and brutal prison guard Cain’t-See to Cain’t-See Double-Time Strunk. Burke crafts equally vivid descriptions of these lowlifes (Mouton ”smelled of deodorant, hair tonic, and fear”). But the plot strains to link a legendary bluesman’s decades-ago disappearance, a teenage girl’s drunken-driving death, and an alleged IRA hitman’s plan to whack a priest during confession. While ”Last Car” ultimately careens into convolution, it’s still an enjoyable ride.
Last Car To Elysian Fields Nobody dreams up more colorful names than Burke. In Dave Robicheaux's latest case, the New Iberia, La., detective crosses paths with insurance...Last Car To Elysian FieldsFiction, Mystery and ThrillerJames Lee Burke Nobody dreams up more colorful names than Burke. In Dave Robicheaux's latest case, the New Iberia, La., detective crosses paths with insurance...2003-09-26
Genre: Fiction, Mystery and Thriller; Author: James Lee Burke
Posted September 26 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- WATCH: How Ryan Gosling put Margaret Qualley at ease on 'Nice Guys'
- 'That '70s Show' cast reunite on the set of Netflix's 'The Ranch'
- 'Scandal' stars tour the White House ahead of Correspondents' Dinner
- Paul Rudd had a fanboy moment over 'Captain America: Civil War'
- James Gunn's parents visited the set of 'Guardians of the Galaxy 2'
- 'Captain America: Civil War' video spotlights Steve-Bucky relationship
- WATCH: Susan Sarandon & Geena Davis reunite to talk 'Thelma & Louise'
- See President Obama's Very First White House Correspondents Dinner
- 13 Times Real Pain Inspired Great Art
- Destiny's Child's Best Matching Outfits Through the Years
- 'The Simpsons': See the Voices Behind Your Favorite Characters
- All the Photos From Beyonce's 'Formation' Tour
- 40 Celebrities Who Threw Out The First Pitch