”I am by nature shy and uncommunicative,” says writer John North, the protagonist of this less than satisfying novel by Begley (”About Schmidt”). Still, North confesses all – specifically, all about his adulterous relationship with a female French journalist – to a nameless stranger at the ominously named tavern L’Entre Deux Mondes (Between Two Worlds). Despite his explicit accounts of multiple trysts, North emerges as a flawed but self-aware man with a deep love for his wife and an abiding concern for his invalid parents. All cheating husbands should be so worthy of sympathy. Too bad the other characters, particularly the women, aren’t nearly as well drawn. North may be shipwrecked, but Begley’s left the ladies at sea.
Shipwreck ''I am by nature shy and uncommunicative,'' says writer John North, the protagonist of this less than satisfying novel by Begley (''About Schmidt'')....ShipwreckFictionLouis Begley ''I am by nature shy and uncommunicative,'' says writer John North, the protagonist of this less than satisfying novel by Begley (''About Schmidt'')....2003-09-26
Genre: Fiction; Author: Louis Begley
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- 'Fantastic Four' trailer arrives with hints of Doom
- 'Star Wars: Rogue One' will depict raid to steal original Death Star plans
- 'Furious 7' holds off 'Paul Blart' to win box office for third weekend in a row
- Victoria Justice breaks news to fans on Twitter: 'Eye Candy' canceled by MTV
- Jon Stewart explains why he quit 'The Daily Show'
- Jason Sudeikis: Now (Tribeca), then ('SNL'), future ('Fletch'?)
- 'Outlander' boss on Geillis reveal, Claire's shocking choice
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Kellie Pickler, Julia Roberts, Taylor Swift & More!