First aired during the golden age of the miniseries, the much-acclaimed, much-nominated Shogun remains one of TV’s highest-rated miniseries. But now that it’s finally on DVD, it’s hard to see what the fuss was about. This plods as ploddingly as an epic can plod. Based on James Clavell’s best-selling 17th-century saga of a shipwrecked English seaman (Richard Chamberlain) who serves as a samurai under a powerful warlord (Toshiro Mifune), the story is not so much dramatized as it is laboriously reenacted. All journeys, even those up flights of stairs, are documented in painstaking detail. Also slowing things down are a forbidden-but-fairly-chaste love story, mini-lectures on 17th-century world history, and some very occasional stilted action. Yet everyone in the making-of doc is still complimenting each other on a ”masterpiece” well done, while in his skimpy commentary director Jerry London seems more concerned with how the film looks than how it plays. He should be: From its stunning Japanese locations to its lavish costumes and sets, ”Shogun” visually evokes a world that the narrative rarely brings to life.
Shogun First aired during the golden age of the miniseries, the much-acclaimed, much-nominated Shogun remains one of TV's highest-rated miniseries....ShogunAction/Adventure, DramaUnrated First aired during the golden age of the miniseries, the much-acclaimed, much-nominated Shogun remains one of TV's highest-rated miniseries....2003-09-26
Genre: Action/Adventure, Drama; Starring: Toshiro Mifune, Richard Chamberlain; Director: Jerry London; Status: In Season; MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted September 26 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Arrested Development' may 'pull back' on Trump jokes in season 5
- 'Suits': Malcolm-Jamal Warner auditioned for the USA drama 4 times
- 'Gilmore Girls' creator says Rory and Lorelai can drink together now
- Slash surprises 'School of Rock' cast at rehearsal
- Kristen Stewart on relationship: ‘I'm just really in love with my girlfriend’
- 'Ithaca' trailer: Meg Ryan, Tom Hanks reunite in her directorial debut
- 'MacGyver': Tristin Mays joins the CBS reboot as series regular
- 'Planet of the Apes': See the Famous Faces Behind the Makeup
- Toronto Film Festival 2016: See First Look Images From This Year's Lineup
- 'One Tree Hill': Where Are They Now?
- 'Little Miss Sunshine': Where Are They Now?
- 'Harry Potter and the Cursed Child': 22 Magical Photos
- Comic-Con 2016: Celebs at the Biggest Day 4 Panels