First aired during the golden age of the miniseries, the much-acclaimed, much-nominated Shogun remains one of TV’s highest-rated miniseries. But now that it’s finally on DVD, it’s hard to see what the fuss was about. This plods as ploddingly as an epic can plod. Based on James Clavell’s best-selling 17th-century saga of a shipwrecked English seaman (Richard Chamberlain) who serves as a samurai under a powerful warlord (Toshiro Mifune), the story is not so much dramatized as it is laboriously reenacted. All journeys, even those up flights of stairs, are documented in painstaking detail. Also slowing things down are a forbidden-but-fairly-chaste love story, mini-lectures on 17th-century world history, and some very occasional stilted action. Yet everyone in the making-of doc is still complimenting each other on a ”masterpiece” well done, while in his skimpy commentary director Jerry London seems more concerned with how the film looks than how it plays. He should be: From its stunning Japanese locations to its lavish costumes and sets, ”Shogun” visually evokes a world that the narrative rarely brings to life.
Shogun First aired during the golden age of the miniseries, the much-acclaimed, much-nominated Shogun remains one of TV's highest-rated miniseries....ShogunAction/Adventure, DramaUnrated First aired during the golden age of the miniseries, the much-acclaimed, much-nominated Shogun remains one of TV's highest-rated miniseries....2003-09-26
Genre: Action/Adventure, Drama; Starring: Toshiro Mifune, Richard Chamberlain; Director: Jerry London; MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted September 26 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Fantastic Four' cast says they still haven't seen the film
- Candace Cameron Bure shares new 'Fuller House' photo
- 'Deadpool' red band trailer to officially debut Tuesday on 'Conan'
- Dave Grohl responds in Italian to 1,000 fans who covered ‘Learn to Fly’
- Someone cut together 280 movies for an epic 'Uptown Funk' cover
- Box office report: ‘Mission: Impossible – Rogue Nation,’ 'Vacation'
- First teaser for 'Zoolander 2' asks one big existential question
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- FKA Twigs, Adrian Grenier, Bethenny Frankel and More!