First aired during the golden age of the miniseries, the much-acclaimed, much-nominated Shogun remains one of TV’s highest-rated miniseries. But now that it’s finally on DVD, it’s hard to see what the fuss was about. This plods as ploddingly as an epic can plod. Based on James Clavell’s best-selling 17th-century saga of a shipwrecked English seaman (Richard Chamberlain) who serves as a samurai under a powerful warlord (Toshiro Mifune), the story is not so much dramatized as it is laboriously reenacted. All journeys, even those up flights of stairs, are documented in painstaking detail. Also slowing things down are a forbidden-but-fairly-chaste love story, mini-lectures on 17th-century world history, and some very occasional stilted action. Yet everyone in the making-of doc is still complimenting each other on a ”masterpiece” well done, while in his skimpy commentary director Jerry London seems more concerned with how the film looks than how it plays. He should be: From its stunning Japanese locations to its lavish costumes and sets, ”Shogun” visually evokes a world that the narrative rarely brings to life.
Shogun First aired during the golden age of the miniseries, the much-acclaimed, much-nominated Shogun remains one of TV's highest-rated miniseries....ShogunAction/Adventure, DramaEric BercoviciUnrated First aired during the golden age of the miniseries, the much-acclaimed, much-nominated Shogun remains one of TV's highest-rated miniseries....2003-09-26
Genre: Action/Adventure, Drama; Lead Performer: Toshiro Mifune, Richard Chamberlain; Director: Jerry London; Author: Eric Bercovici; Status: In Season; MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted September 26 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Vikings' shocker: Creator Michael Hirst talks the death of [spoiler]
- 'Vikings' kills again: A talk with the departing actor
- Casting Net: Viola Davis, Catalina Sandino Moreno star in 'Custody'
- Obama talks 'The Wire' with David Simon
- Warner Bros wins bid for rights to viral 'Sundays' short
- Oscar producers Meron, Zadan moving on
- Craig T. Nelson back as Hayden Fox in NBC 'Coach' revival
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- Patricia Field on 5 costume gigs before she got 'Younger'
- 'Game of Thrones' London premiere: Red carpet style
- Best ‘DWTS’ champ? A (non-scientific) power ranking
- Russell Crowe, Elisabeth Moss, Ben Affleck & More!