In January 2000, Illinois governor George Ryan – disturbed by the number of death-row inmates being exonerated – halted all executions and recruited a reform panel that included Turow, the lawyer author of twisty legal thrillers like ”Presumed Innocent.” Instead of churning out pathos and politics, Turow offers a fairly rote essay on well-worn topics: the shortcomings of the system, the desire for revenge. While he employs a few pro and con examples (an innocent man he defended, a serial killer who might be better off dead), he doesn’t disclose his own leanings until his last, anticlimactic sentence. The stab at objectivity makes this crafty novelist seem clinical, even about Ryan’s astounding decision to commute the sentences of all the state’s 167 death-row inmates. Capital punishment is a topic that should heat the blood, whatever side you take. Turow’s treatment barely simmers.
Ultimate Punishment: A Lawyer's Reflection on Dealing With the Death Penalty In January 2000, Illinois governor George Ryan -- disturbed by the number of death-row inmates being exonerated -- halted all executions and recruited...Ultimate Punishment: A Lawyer's Reflection on Dealing With the Death PenaltyNonfictionScott Turow In January 2000, Illinois governor George Ryan -- disturbed by the number of death-row inmates being exonerated -- halted all executions and recruited...2003-09-26Farrar, Straus & Giroux
Genre: Nonfiction; Author: Scott Turow; Publisher: Farrar, Straus & Giroux
Posted September 26 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Casting Net: M. Night Shyamalan's new supernatural thriller adds four actors
- 'Chicago Fire' recap: 'Let it Burn'
- Top 5 'Muppets' moments from 'Pig Out'
- 'Pretty Little Liars' EP to produce 'Famous in Love' drama pilot starring Bella Thorne
- 'Arrow' actor Neal McDonough on bringing Damien Darhk to life
- Lamar Odom hospitalized after he was found unconscious at brothel
- E! is going to spin off 'Botched'
- 12 Instagram Photos of Pitbull Hanging Out with Celebrities
- 25 Unforgettable Dresses From the Past 25 Years
- Box Office Flops: 19 Notorious Opening Weekends
- EW's 25 Best Movies in 25 Years
- EW Reunions: Bonus portraits of your favorite TV and movie casts
- 'The Walking Dead': 15 Exclusive Storyboard Illustrations From Season 6