Asian-American teen counterculture gets its day in Justin Lin’s indie flick about a group of overachieving suburban high schoolers who get involved with cons, cocaine, and murder while simultaneously racking up impressive extracurriculars and straight As for their Ivy-bound college applications. Sounds contradictory, but the young actors’ fresh performances make it work surprisingly well. It’s also refreshing to see Lin replace the ”model minority” stereotype with an edgier, more complex image. But the far-fetched ending is more suited for a martial-arts actioner than a groundbreaking coming-of-age film. EXTRAS A boringly technical commentary by Lin and other cowriters is unfortunate.
Genre: Mystery and Thriller, Drama; Starring: Sung Kang, Parry Shen, Jason Tobin, Karin Anna Cheung, John Cho, Roger Fan; Director: Justin Lin; Author: Ernesto Foronda, Justin Lin, Fabian Marquez; Release Date Limited: 04/11/2003; Runtime (in minutes): 99; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: MTV Films
Posted October 3 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Grace Helbig and Tyler Oakley tapped to host 2015 Streamy Awards
- Miley Cyrus: Donald Trump 'loved' twerking performance at 2013 VMAs
- 6 new tracks we loved this week
- 'Limitless' stages 'Dexter' reunion
- 'The Blacklist': Check out Liz's new look in exclusive first trailer
- Rob Lowe's comedy casts Christina Applegate as former flame
- How 'Grey's Anatomy' is bringing sexy back for season 12
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Céline Dion, Aaron Paul, Kate & Hayden and More!