Asian-American teen counterculture gets its day in Justin Lin’s indie flick about a group of overachieving suburban high schoolers who get involved with cons, cocaine, and murder while simultaneously racking up impressive extracurriculars and straight As for their Ivy-bound college applications. Sounds contradictory, but the young actors’ fresh performances make it work surprisingly well. It’s also refreshing to see Lin replace the ”model minority” stereotype with an edgier, more complex image. But the far-fetched ending is more suited for a martial-arts actioner than a groundbreaking coming-of-age film. EXTRAS A boringly technical commentary by Lin and other cowriters is unfortunate.
Genre: Mystery and Thriller, Drama; Starring: Sung Kang, Parry Shen, Jason Tobin, Karin Anna Cheung, John Cho, Roger Fan; Director: Justin Lin; Author: Ernesto Foronda, Justin Lin, Fabian Marquez; Release Date Limited: 04/11/2003; Runtime (in minutes): 99; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: MTV Films
Posted October 3 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'This Is Us' star on tonight's ep: 'We meet Jack in the present day'
- Chris Martin sings with kids Apple and Moses at charity event
- Watch the trailer for 'I Am the Pretty Thing That Lives in the House'
- Michael Phelps brings his Phelps Face to new 'Call of Duty' trailer
- ABC cuts 'Notorious' order, possibly first canceled show
- Pussy Riot debut celebratory anthem 'Straight Outta Vagina'
- Watch the 'X-Men 2' trailer recut in the style of 'Logan'