Asian-American teen counterculture gets its day in Justin Lin’s indie flick about a group of overachieving suburban high schoolers who get involved with cons, cocaine, and murder while simultaneously racking up impressive extracurriculars and straight As for their Ivy-bound college applications. Sounds contradictory, but the young actors’ fresh performances make it work surprisingly well. It’s also refreshing to see Lin replace the ”model minority” stereotype with an edgier, more complex image. But the far-fetched ending is more suited for a martial-arts actioner than a groundbreaking coming-of-age film. EXTRAS A boringly technical commentary by Lin and other cowriters is unfortunate.
Genre: Mystery and Thriller, Drama; Starring: Sung Kang, Parry Shen, Jason Tobin, Karin Anna Cheung, John Cho, Roger Fan; Director: Justin Lin; Author: Ernesto Foronda, Justin Lin, Fabian Marquez; Release Date Limited: 04/11/2003; Runtime (in minutes): 99; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: MTV Films
Posted October 3 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'X-Files' writer on Monday night's huge spoiler
- Lupita Nyong'o in talks to star in sci-fi thriller 'Intelligent Life'
- 'Orange Is the New Black' star Taryn Manning is suing New York City over 2014 arrest
- 'Taxi Driver' turns 40: Five ways the movie affected pop culture
- Billy Eichner's trailer was hit by a truck while he was inside
- ZZ Top's Billy Gibbons to star in Discovery pilot 'Rockin' Roadsters'
- 'The Flash' star Danielle Panabaker teases Killer Frost's icy Earth-2 debut