It was a regular rainbow coalition on the Emmys’ red carpet this year – and for once, the ”Queer Eye” guys had nothing to do with it. Clad in everything from airy pastels (Sarah Jessica Parker, Christina Applegate) to striking jewel tones (Allison Janney, Cynthia Nixon), stars proved that color is the new black. ”I loved the color,” says ”Without a Trace”’s Poppy Montgomery about her aqua frock. ”It’s still really summery here and hot, so I think people are inspired by the fact that it’s about 95 degrees.” Indeed, some celebs took it upon themselves to don dresses with built-in air-conditioning: Jennifer Aniston and Elisha Cuthbert (in vintage purple Ungaro) both sported short, sassy styles. ”I wanted to look young and didn’t want to look like I was doing it up too much,” says Cuthbert. (Perhaps the heat affected actress Bai Ling’s judgment: Her tummy-baring number was more hoochie than haute.) On the jewelry front, chandelier earrings (on Debra Messing, Kristin Davis, and Patricia Heaton) are still going strong. But double-sided tape will likely be the most important accessory for the upcoming awards season. Says ”Curb Your Enthusiasm”’s Cheryl Hines about her strategically beaded Valentino: ”The models on the runway don’t mind letting it all hang out, but I have my limits.” (Style Sheet is a new regular feature in News & Notes.)
Posted October 3 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Wes Craven's 5 most twistedly influential films
- A$AP Rocky brings 'L$D' to the VMAs
- Celebrity reactions to Kanye West's MTV VMAs speech
- Miley Cyrus announces new album during VMAs performance
- 'Bad Blood' wins Video of the Year at the MTV VMAs
- The most GIF-able moments from this year's MTV VMAs
- 'I Am Cait' recap: 'The Dating Game'
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Khloé & Kris, Elsa & Chris, Rihanna and More!