It was a regular rainbow coalition on the Emmys’ red carpet this year – and for once, the ”Queer Eye” guys had nothing to do with it. Clad in everything from airy pastels (Sarah Jessica Parker, Christina Applegate) to striking jewel tones (Allison Janney, Cynthia Nixon), stars proved that color is the new black. ”I loved the color,” says ”Without a Trace”’s Poppy Montgomery about her aqua frock. ”It’s still really summery here and hot, so I think people are inspired by the fact that it’s about 95 degrees.” Indeed, some celebs took it upon themselves to don dresses with built-in air-conditioning: Jennifer Aniston and Elisha Cuthbert (in vintage purple Ungaro) both sported short, sassy styles. ”I wanted to look young and didn’t want to look like I was doing it up too much,” says Cuthbert. (Perhaps the heat affected actress Bai Ling’s judgment: Her tummy-baring number was more hoochie than haute.) On the jewelry front, chandelier earrings (on Debra Messing, Kristin Davis, and Patricia Heaton) are still going strong. But double-sided tape will likely be the most important accessory for the upcoming awards season. Says ”Curb Your Enthusiasm”’s Cheryl Hines about her strategically beaded Valentino: ”The models on the runway don’t mind letting it all hang out, but I have my limits.” (Style Sheet is a new regular feature in News & Notes.)
Posted October 3 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Whitney Houston's brother remembers her iconic Super Bowl performance
- Zoolander and Hansel critique presidential candidate fashion on 'SNL'
- Bernie Sanders appears with Larry David on 'SNL'
- Danai Gurira on the big 'moment of truth' coming up on 'The Walking Dead'
- 'Bern Your Enthusiasm': Larry David stars as Bernie Sanders in 'SNL' spoof
- DGA Awards 2016: Alejandro Gonzalez Iñárritu wins for 'The Revenant'
- 'Formation' video: Beyoncé used doc footage 'with permission,' says rep