”Only a fool would prefer to be actively achingly dangerously unhappy, rather than bored,” Martha Gellhorn once said, ”and I am that class of fool.” Indeed, Gellhorn was rarely bored (she was one of the first women on the front lines of the Spanish Civil War, WWII, and Vietnam) and often unhappy (she endured a tortuous five-year marriage to Ernest Hemingway and raised a thrice-jailed adopted son). Moorehead’s extensively researched biography is filled with excerpts from letters exchanged with Eleanor Roosevelt, Leonard Bernstein, H.G. Wells, and others. A perfect blend of soap opera and history lesson, ”Gellhorn” is a vivid spotlight on one of the most undercelebrated women of the 20th century.
Gellhorn: A Twentieth-Century Life ''Only a fool would prefer to be actively achingly dangerously unhappy, rather than bored,'' Martha Gellhorn once said, ''and I am that class of fool....Gellhorn: A Twentieth-Century LifeBiographyCaroline Moorehead ''Only a fool would prefer to be actively achingly dangerously unhappy, rather than bored,'' Martha Gellhorn once said, ''and I am that class of fool....2003-10-03
Genre: Biography; Author: Caroline Moorehead
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- Box-office report: 'Furious 7' holds off 'Paul Blart'
- Victoria Justice breaks news to fans on Twitter: 'Eye Candy' canceled by MTV
- Jon Stewart explains why he quit 'The Daily Show'
- Jason Sudeikis on present (two Tribeca films), past ('SNL'), and future ('Fletch'?)
- 'Outlander' boss on Geillis reveal, Claire's shocking choice
- 'Orphan Black' creators on series' sexy, surreal return
- Tatiana Maslany on 'Orphan Black' choking, spanking scene
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Prince Harry, Christina Aguilera, Diane Kruger & More!