”Only a fool would prefer to be actively achingly dangerously unhappy, rather than bored,” Martha Gellhorn once said, ”and I am that class of fool.” Indeed, Gellhorn was rarely bored (she was one of the first women on the front lines of the Spanish Civil War, WWII, and Vietnam) and often unhappy (she endured a tortuous five-year marriage to Ernest Hemingway and raised a thrice-jailed adopted son). Moorehead’s extensively researched biography is filled with excerpts from letters exchanged with Eleanor Roosevelt, Leonard Bernstein, H.G. Wells, and others. A perfect blend of soap opera and history lesson, ”Gellhorn” is a vivid spotlight on one of the most undercelebrated women of the 20th century.
Gellhorn: A Twentieth-Century Life ''Only a fool would prefer to be actively achingly dangerously unhappy, rather than bored,'' Martha Gellhorn once said, ''and I am that class of fool....Gellhorn: A Twentieth-Century LifeBiographyCaroline Moorehead ''Only a fool would prefer to be actively achingly dangerously unhappy, rather than bored,'' Martha Gellhorn once said, ''and I am that class of fool....2003-10-03
Genre: Biography; Author: Caroline Moorehead
Posted October 3 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Jimmy Fallon plays 'Family Feud' on 'The Tonight Show'
- One Direction fans' Summer of Struggles: a timeline
- 'Survivor: Second Chance': Woo says he won't make same epic mistake twice
- Now's your chance to see 'Mad Max: Fury Road' in IMAX theaters
- Obama to honor Stephen King, Sally Field with National Medals of Arts
- Queen Elizabeth is a huge fan of 'Downton Abbey'
- You can binge all of TNT's new show 'Public Morals' — only on Labor Day weekend
- Force Friday: See Hasbro's 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' toys
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- Dakota Johnson, Keanu Reeves, Bar Refaeli & More!