How, over half a century, did Prof. James Murray corral 414,825 words and 1,827,306 ”illustrative quotations” into the 15,490 single-spaced pages of the first, 12-volume Oxford English Dictionary, ”the finest dictionary ever made in any language”? And how did Winchester wring a second great yarn out of the history of a reference book? His 1998 best-seller, ”The Professor and the Madman,” a dual character study contrasting Murray with the lunatic who did invaluable OED legwork from his asylum cell, skimmed through some of the material here, but this is the fuller, more peculiarly inspiring account. And Winchester’s involving and gregarious narration is nearly Dickensian. Even his footnotes twinkle.
The Meaning of Everything: The Story of the Oxford English Dictionary How, over half a century, did Prof. James Murray corral 414,825 words and 1,827,306 ''illustrative quotations'' into the 15,490 single-spaced pages of...The Meaning of Everything: The Story of the Oxford English DictionaryHistorySimon Winchester How, over half a century, did Prof. James Murray corral 414,825 words and 1,827,306 ''illustrative quotations'' into the 15,490 single-spaced pages of...2003-10-03HarperAudio
Genre: History; Author: Simon Winchester; Distributor: HarperAudio
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- Master Chief meets his match in first 'Halo 5' trailers
- Watch Trevor Noah's 'Daily Show' segments
- ACM Awards add Little Big Town, Lady Antebellum, surprise duet with Christina Aguilera
- Louis. C.K. plays Mayor Bill de Blasio's anger translator at Inner Circle dinner
- John Oliver wants you to ignore April Fools' Day
- 'Game of Thrones' actress Maisie Williams going to 'Doctor Who'
- Exclusive: Flo Rida drops breezy, Robin Thicke-featuring "I Don't Like It, I Love It"
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Justin Theroux, Josh Gad, Kristen Stewart & More!