”I stared at the ceiling and wondered how I could be in love with someone whose name had no anagram,” frets obsessive-compulsive Daniel Pecan Cambridge as he mulls a tender encounter with single mother Clarissa. Everything in Daniel’s life – from the wattages of his lightbulbs to the arrangement of his neighborhood’s driveways – is subjected to this sort of calculus; everything except Daniel himself, of course. Set in the world of youngish Cali lonely hearts (a la 2000’s ”Shopgirl”), Martin’s new novella feels not so much written as worded. He riddles us with intricately constructed OCD gags (funny stuff, though a tad musty post-Sedaris), then settles into a sweet, symmetrical story of love and ”the quiet heart.” But ”Pleasure” might have benefited from a bit more chaos to raise its stakes above those of Sunday crossword solving.
The Pleasure of My Company ''I stared at the ceiling and wondered how I could be in love with someone whose name had no anagram,'' frets obsessive-compulsive Daniel Pecan...The Pleasure of My CompanyFictionSteve Martin ''I stared at the ceiling and wondered how I could be in love with someone whose name had no anagram,'' frets obsessive-compulsive Daniel Pecan...2003-10-03
Genre: Fiction; Author: Steve Martin
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- Angelina Jolie makes first public appearance since her surgery at the Kids Choice Awards
- Kids Choice Awards 2015 winners are...
- 'SNL react: Your quick take on The Rock and George Ezra?
- Hugh Jackman teases final go-round as 'Wolverine' on Instagram
- J.K. Rowling's 'Casual Vacancy' miniseries gets a trailer
- Sacha Baron Cohen as Freddie Mercury
- Justin Moore on touring with Miranda Lambert, new music, and getting to play Madison Square Garden
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- The Clooneys, Sienna Miller, Kate & Kate and More!