The where is California, the subject of Didion’s vexation and fascination in 40 years’ worth of writing. The was isn’t an am because Didion explores how her idea of the place has changed since she was a kid in Sacramento, full of ”misapprehensions and misunderstandings so much a part of who I became that I can still to this day confront them only obliquely.” And how: As often as not, Didion’s route to the personal is through the sociohistorical. In tracking her ancestors across the frontier, analyzing the railroad and defense industries, or revisiting the L.A. suburb that gave America the Spur Posse in 1993, she is her usual cool, overglamorously ominous self – a dry-ice queen. Her essays give a more acute sense of Didion and her California than this scattered analysis of her golden dream.
Where I Was From The where is California, the subject of Didion's vexation and fascination in 40 years' worth of writing. The was isn't an am because Didion explores...Where I Was FromHistoryJoan Didion The where is California, the subject of Didion's vexation and fascination in 40 years' worth of writing. The was isn't an am because Didion explores...2003-10-03Knopf
Genre: History; Author: Joan Didion; Publisher: Knopf
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- iHeart Radio Music Awards 2015: And the winners are...
- 'Mad Max: Fury Road' posts quartet of short teasers
- Gene Saks, Tony-winning director, dies
- Scientology doc 'Going Clear' airing Sunday on HBO
- Kids' Choice Awards 2015: See who got slimed
- 'Home' is where the weekend box office crown is: $54M debut
- Destiny's Child reunited at gospel event
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Justin Theroux, Josh Gad, Kristen Stewart & More!