The where is California, the subject of Didion’s vexation and fascination in 40 years’ worth of writing. The was isn’t an am because Didion explores how her idea of the place has changed since she was a kid in Sacramento, full of ”misapprehensions and misunderstandings so much a part of who I became that I can still to this day confront them only obliquely.” And how: As often as not, Didion’s route to the personal is through the sociohistorical. In tracking her ancestors across the frontier, analyzing the railroad and defense industries, or revisiting the L.A. suburb that gave America the Spur Posse in 1993, she is her usual cool, overglamorously ominous self – a dry-ice queen. Her essays give a more acute sense of Didion and her California than this scattered analysis of her golden dream.
Where I Was From The where is California, the subject of Didion's vexation and fascination in 40 years' worth of writing. The was isn't an am because Didion explores...Where I Was FromHistoryJoan Didion The where is California, the subject of Didion's vexation and fascination in 40 years' worth of writing. The was isn't an am because Didion explores...2003-10-03Knopf
Genre: History; Author: Joan Didion; Publisher: Knopf
Posted October 3 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Kelly Rowland wants to find the next Destiny's Child
- The Nathan's Hot Dog Eating contest crowned a new champion on July 4
- Diana Douglas, mother of Michael Douglas and ex-wife of Kirk Douglas, dies at 92
- Hello Kitty movie targeted for 2019
- 'Suicide Squad' on-set photo: Harley Quinn birthday cake for Margot Robbie
- Caitlyn Jenner 'proud to be an American'
- Lil Wayne: 'Free Weezy Album' on Tidal
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Garcelle Beauvais, Kylie Jenner, Serena Williams & More!