The where is California, the subject of Didion’s vexation and fascination in 40 years’ worth of writing. The was isn’t an am because Didion explores how her idea of the place has changed since she was a kid in Sacramento, full of ”misapprehensions and misunderstandings so much a part of who I became that I can still to this day confront them only obliquely.” And how: As often as not, Didion’s route to the personal is through the sociohistorical. In tracking her ancestors across the frontier, analyzing the railroad and defense industries, or revisiting the L.A. suburb that gave America the Spur Posse in 1993, she is her usual cool, overglamorously ominous self – a dry-ice queen. Her essays give a more acute sense of Didion and her California than this scattered analysis of her golden dream.
Where I Was From The where is California, the subject of Didion's vexation and fascination in 40 years' worth of writing. The was isn't an am because Didion explores...Where I Was FromHistoryJoan Didion The where is California, the subject of Didion's vexation and fascination in 40 years' worth of writing. The was isn't an am because Didion explores...2003-10-03Knopf
Genre: History; Author: Joan Didion; Publisher: Knopf
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- Victoria Justice breaks news to fans on Twitter: 'Eye Candy' canceled by MTV
- Jon Stewart explains why he quit 'The Daily Show'
- Jason Sudeikis looks back at 'SNL' and ahead towards 'Fletch'
- 'Outlander' boss Ronald Moore talks Geillis reveal, Claire's shocking choice
- 'Orphan Black' creators on series' sexy, surreal return
- Tatiana Maslany on 'Orphan Black' return, and 'totally changing up what people were going to expect'
- Jonathan Crombie, seen as Gilbert Blythe in 'Anne of Green Gables' films, dies at 48
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Prince Harry, Christina Aguilera, Diane Kruger & More!