The where is California, the subject of Didion’s vexation and fascination in 40 years’ worth of writing. The was isn’t an am because Didion explores how her idea of the place has changed since she was a kid in Sacramento, full of ”misapprehensions and misunderstandings so much a part of who I became that I can still to this day confront them only obliquely.” And how: As often as not, Didion’s route to the personal is through the sociohistorical. In tracking her ancestors across the frontier, analyzing the railroad and defense industries, or revisiting the L.A. suburb that gave America the Spur Posse in 1993, she is her usual cool, overglamorously ominous self – a dry-ice queen. Her essays give a more acute sense of Didion and her California than this scattered analysis of her golden dream.
Where I Was From The where is California, the subject of Didion's vexation and fascination in 40 years' worth of writing. The was isn't an am because Didion explores...Where I Was FromHistoryJoan Didion The where is California, the subject of Didion's vexation and fascination in 40 years' worth of writing. The was isn't an am because Didion explores...2003-10-03Knopf
Genre: History; Author: Joan Didion; Publisher: Knopf
Posted October 3 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Abbi Jacobson is a 'Dreamgirl' in new 'Lip Sync Battle' clip
- Solve Agatha Christie mysteries with this simple formula
- See Doug Funnie sing 'Trap Queen'
- Amy Schumer joins Chuck Schumer for call to action on gun violence
- Marvel's 'Guardians of the Galaxy' get 'Hooked on a Feeling' in new promo
- 'The Walking Dead' star Andrew Lincoln on an 'astonishing' season 6
- That time Jon Stewart saved Bill Clinton from an awkward encounter
- Stars We Lost in 2015
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Sam Smith, Channing Tatum, Gwyneth Paltrow and More!