Why is Elvis Presley living in a convalescent home in East Texas? Because 30 years ago, he escaped the fortress of his fame by trading places with an Elvis impersonator. Why is Elvis doing battle with a mummy who haunts the rest home so that he can suck out the souls of the dying? Because Don Coscarelli, writer-director of the logy, fatuous Bubba Ho-Tep, is trying to will a cult movie into existence – which, of course, never works. It’s a small plus that Bruce Campbell, from the ”Evil Dead” films, refuses to play Elvis as a joke, but he’s stuck chewing over a litany of old-hat regret (he should have dumped Colonel Parker, etc.). Besides, how much fascination can the King hold when he’s attempting to smash a giant scarab with a bedpan?
Genre: Comedy, Horror; Starring: Bruce Campbell, Ossie Davis; Director: Don Coscarelli; Author: Don Coscarelli; Release Date Limited: 09/26/2003; Runtime (in minutes): 92; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Vitagraph Films
Posted October 8 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- President Obama and Vice head to prison in 'Fixing the System' trailer
- Chris Messina in talks to play Ben Affleck's best friend in 'Live By Night'
- 'Minions' clears $1 billion at the worldwide box office
- Justin Bieber to spend several mornings with you on the 'Today' show
- 'Doubt': 'Good Wife' actor to star opposite Katherine Heigl
- The first trans director of 'Transparent' on his experiences with the show
- Miley Cyrus reveals what a rainbow tastes like during Tumblr Q&A
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Céline Dion, Aaron Paul, Kate & Hayden and More!