Little is asked of talking-animal movies, save charm, heart, and at least one scene where said animal wears a lampshade. Good Boy! has all those things, plus a winning story line: Hubble, a prickly Benji-like alien voiced by Matthew Broderick, lands on Earth and is shocked to see his terrestrial cousins (actually estranged colonists from the Dog Star Sirius) reduced to pets. Assisted by sweet, lonely Owen (Liam Aiken), a kid who learns to speak dog, Hubble prepares the planet’s pooches for the coming of the Greater Dane (Vanessa Redgrave – her coat has never looked glossier). One caveat: ”Boy” contains a canine huffing scene that makes household inhalants seem benign – though it’s oddly suited to a film where Brittany Murphy voices a nervous whippet. Her ticks are priceless.
Genre: Kids and Family, Comedy; Starring: Liam Aiken, Matthew Broderick, Kevin Nealon, Molly Shannon; Director: John Hoffman; Author: John Hoffman; Release Date Wide: 10/10/2003; Status: In Season; Runtime (in minutes): 88; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: MGM
Posted October 9 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Box office report: ‘Mission: Impossible – Rogue Nation,’ 'Vacation'
- First trailer for Zoolander 2 asks one big existential question
- Valerie Harper replaced in play after hospital stay
- NFL legend Jerry Rice heads to 'Hawaii Five-0'
- Sarah Michelle Gellar wonders if daughter could be a ‘Future Slayer’
- Ronda Rousey pays tribute to ‘Rowdy’ Roddy Piper
- British singer and TV star Cilla Black dies at 72
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- FKA Twigs, Adrian Grenier, Bethenny Frankel and More!