Little is asked of talking-animal movies, save charm, heart, and at least one scene where said animal wears a lampshade. Good Boy! has all those things, plus a winning story line: Hubble, a prickly Benji-like alien voiced by Matthew Broderick, lands on Earth and is shocked to see his terrestrial cousins (actually estranged colonists from the Dog Star Sirius) reduced to pets. Assisted by sweet, lonely Owen (Liam Aiken), a kid who learns to speak dog, Hubble prepares the planet’s pooches for the coming of the Greater Dane (Vanessa Redgrave – her coat has never looked glossier). One caveat: ”Boy” contains a canine huffing scene that makes household inhalants seem benign – though it’s oddly suited to a film where Brittany Murphy voices a nervous whippet. Her ticks are priceless.
Genre: Kids and Family, Comedy; Starring: Liam Aiken, Matthew Broderick, Kevin Nealon, Molly Shannon; Director: John Hoffman; Author: John Hoffman; Release Date Wide: 10/10/2003; Runtime (in minutes): 88; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: MGM
Posted October 9 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- HBO renews 'Ballers' for season 3
- Serena Williams answers 73 random questions for Vogue
- Bindi Irwin praises Ariel Winter's body confidence
- Garry Marshall's 'The Flamingo Kid' is going to be a stage musical
- Watch the exclusive teaser for 'Documentary Now!'
- Ice Cube to bring hip-hop 'Hollywood Squares' to VH1
- Mila Kunis bought her $90 wedding band on Etsy
- 'Alice in Wonderland': Witticisms and Wisdom From the Disney Classic
- 'John Tucker Must Die': Where Are They Now?
- 15 Captivating International Crime Thrillers
- 'Planet of the Apes': See the Famous Faces Behind the Makeup
- Toronto Film Festival 2016: See First Look Images From This Year's Lineup
- 'One Tree Hill': Where Are They Now?