Little is asked of talking-animal movies, save charm, heart, and at least one scene where said animal wears a lampshade. Good Boy! has all those things, plus a winning story line: Hubble, a prickly Benji-like alien voiced by Matthew Broderick, lands on Earth and is shocked to see his terrestrial cousins (actually estranged colonists from the Dog Star Sirius) reduced to pets. Assisted by sweet, lonely Owen (Liam Aiken), a kid who learns to speak dog, Hubble prepares the planet’s pooches for the coming of the Greater Dane (Vanessa Redgrave – her coat has never looked glossier). One caveat: ”Boy” contains a canine huffing scene that makes household inhalants seem benign – though it’s oddly suited to a film where Brittany Murphy voices a nervous whippet. Her ticks are priceless.
Genre: Kids and Family, Comedy; Starring: Liam Aiken, Matthew Broderick, Kevin Nealon, Molly Shannon; Director: John Hoffman; Author: John Hoffman; Release Date Wide: 10/10/2003; Runtime (in minutes): 88; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: MGM
Posted October 9 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.': The director's identity revealed?
- 'This Is Us' creator Dan Fogelman on that gut-punch ending
- 'Scream Queens': John Stamos on that 'pretty awkward' shower scene
- 'This Is Us': Mandy Moore and Milo Ventimiglia on episode 2's twist
- Sia uses her song 'The Greatest' to endorse Hillary Clinton
- Ryan Lochte's 'Dancing With the Stars' protestors charged
- Solange Knowles to release new album on Friday