Renée Zellweger and Ewan McGregor leap into Rock Hudson and Doris Day territory with a candy-bright, innuendo-filled battle of the sexes when her small-town girl meets his man-about-town. Sparks fly in Down With Love as she champions her anti-love proto-feminist theory and he tries to debunk it. It all makes for a spectacular, if winking, period simulation, with lots of split screens, fab costumes, and ridiculous plot twists. But ultimately, revisiting a genre should involve more than a gee-whiz-we’re-really-doing-this attitude. Love, like the supposed preliberated woman, looks pretty but doesn’t have much to say. EXTRAS Director Peyton Reed (”Bring It On”) is mostly concerned with giving props to the props in his commentary, but a music video gives the ”Chicago” and ”Moulin Rouge” stars another chance to sing and dance.
Genre: Comedy, Romance; Starring: Ewan McGregor, Renee Zellweger, Rachel Dratch, Melissa George, Ivana Milicevic, Sarah Paulson, David Hyde Pierce, Tony Randall, Jeri Ryan; Director: Peyton Reed; Author: Eve Ahlert, Dennis Drake; Release Date Wide: 05/16/2003; Runtime (in minutes): 102; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: 20th Century Fox Film Corporation
Posted October 10 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- WATCH: 'Stranger Things' star enters 'Charnel House' in exclusive clip
- Look who's going to the chapel on 'Last Man Standing'
- 'Toy Story 4' delayed by Pixar, 'Incredibles 2' takes its date
- President Obama to appear on 'Full Frontal with Samantha Bee'
- The CW unveils its holiday specials lineup
- 'Two and a Half Men' star Angus T. Jones: 'I got pretty doomsday'
- 'The Flash' first look: Time to meet Caitlin Snow's mom!
- The 16 Best Halloween Movies to Stream Right Now
- Hillary Clinton Through The Years
- 'Hamilton' Stars Go Old-School for Vintage Portraits
- 'The Walking Dead': Exclusive Season Premiere Storyboards
- 'Gilmore Girls' Trailer: A Deep Dive Into the Return to Stars Hollow
- 15 Ultimate Halloween Movie Picks, From Horror-Loving Actors and Filmmakers