Renée Zellweger and Ewan McGregor leap into Rock Hudson and Doris Day territory with a candy-bright, innuendo-filled battle of the sexes when her small-town girl meets his man-about-town. Sparks fly in Down With Love as she champions her anti-love proto-feminist theory and he tries to debunk it. It all makes for a spectacular, if winking, period simulation, with lots of split screens, fab costumes, and ridiculous plot twists. But ultimately, revisiting a genre should involve more than a gee-whiz-we’re-really-doing-this attitude. Love, like the supposed preliberated woman, looks pretty but doesn’t have much to say. EXTRAS Director Peyton Reed (”Bring It On”) is mostly concerned with giving props to the props in his commentary, but a music video gives the ”Chicago” and ”Moulin Rouge” stars another chance to sing and dance.
Genre: Comedy, Romance; Starring: Ewan McGregor, Renee Zellweger, Rachel Dratch, Melissa George, Ivana Milicevic, Sarah Paulson, David Hyde Pierce, Tony Randall, Jeri Ryan; Director: Peyton Reed; Author: Eve Ahlert, Dennis Drake; Release Date Wide: 05/16/2003; Runtime (in minutes): 102; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: 20th Century Fox Film Corporation
Posted October 10 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- The Nathan's Hot Dog Eating contest crowned a new champion on July 4
- Diana Douglas, mother of Michael Douglas and ex-wife of Kirk Douglas, dies at 92
- Hello Kitty movie targeted for 2019
- 'Suicide Squad' on-set photo: Harley Quinn birthday cake for Margot Robbie
- Caitlyn Jenner 'proud to be an American'
- Lil Wayne: 'Free Weezy Album' on Tidal
- Bubba Watson says he's removing Confederate flag from his 'Dukes of Hazzard' car
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Garcelle Beauvais, Kylie Jenner, Serena Williams & More!