Renée Zellweger and Ewan McGregor leap into Rock Hudson and Doris Day territory with a candy-bright, innuendo-filled battle of the sexes when her small-town girl meets his man-about-town. Sparks fly in Down With Love as she champions her anti-love proto-feminist theory and he tries to debunk it. It all makes for a spectacular, if winking, period simulation, with lots of split screens, fab costumes, and ridiculous plot twists. But ultimately, revisiting a genre should involve more than a gee-whiz-we’re-really-doing-this attitude. Love, like the supposed preliberated woman, looks pretty but doesn’t have much to say. EXTRAS Director Peyton Reed (”Bring It On”) is mostly concerned with giving props to the props in his commentary, but a music video gives the ”Chicago” and ”Moulin Rouge” stars another chance to sing and dance.
Genre: Comedy, Romance; Starring: Ewan McGregor, Renee Zellweger, Rachel Dratch, Melissa George, Ivana Milicevic, Sarah Paulson, David Hyde Pierce, Tony Randall, Jeri Ryan; Director: Peyton Reed; Author: Eve Ahlert, Dennis Drake; Release Date Wide: 05/16/2003; Runtime (in minutes): 102; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: 20th Century Fox Film Corporation
Posted October 10 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- President Obama and Vice head to prison in 'Fixing the System' trailer
- Chris Messina in talks to play Ben Affleck's best friend in 'Live By Night'
- 'Minions' clears $1 billion at the worldwide box office
- Justin Bieber to spend several mornings with you on the 'Today' show
- 'Doubt': 'Good Wife' actor to star opposite Katherine Heigl
- The first trans director of 'Transparent' on his experiences with the show
- Miley Cyrus reveals what a rainbow tastes like during Tumblr Q&A
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Céline Dion, Aaron Paul, Kate & Hayden and More!