In an inspired bit of stunt casting, the creators of ”Great Discoveries” (a new series in which name-brand authors present histories of scientific breakthroughs) have paired the ”Infinite Jest” novelist with Georg Cantor, the inventor of transfinite math. Wallace, who professes to have a ”medium-strong amateur interest in math and formal systems,” lays everything out clearly – the theories, axioms, proofs, ancient paradoxes of infinity. He even tells you which bits are skippable by, alternately, the math savvy and the calculus-impaired. It’s common to say that gripping books built of fact read like novels; wonderfully, this one doesn’t: Wallace’s straightforward engagement with ultimate abstractions and unambiguous truths offers a heady pleasure distinct from that of fiction.
Everything and More: A Compact History of Infinity In an inspired bit of stunt casting, the creators of ''Great Discoveries'' (a new series in which name-brand authors present histories of scientific...Everything and More: A Compact History of InfinityNonfictionDavid Foster Wallace In an inspired bit of stunt casting, the creators of ''Great Discoveries'' (a new series in which name-brand authors present histories of scientific...2003-10-10
Genre: Nonfiction; Author: David Foster Wallace
Posted October 10 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Now's your chance to see 'Mad Max: Fury Road' in IMAX theaters
- Obama to honor Stephen King, Sally Field with National Medals of Arts
- Queen Elizabeth is a huge fan of 'Downton Abbey'
- You can binge all of TNT's new show 'Public Morals' — only on Labor Day weekend
- New 'Batman v Superman' pics show Wonder Woman, the Batmobile
- 'Star Wars: Aftermath': Finding Han Solo for a quick galactic run
- Kanye West sends Taylor Swift flowers after the 2015 VMAs
- Force Friday: See Hasbro's 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens' toys
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- Dakota Johnson, Keanu Reeves, Bar Refaeli & More!