Before Andrew Lloyd Webber’s tourist trap of a megamusical (presently being transformed for the movies by director Joel Schumacher) and before a slew of other screen versions (with actors as various as Casablanca’s Claude Rains and A Nightmare on Elm Street’s Robert Englund as the lead ghoul), there was the silent classic starring Lon Chaney. Phantom’s enchantment begins when Christine, an opera ingenue, ventures through her dressing room’s looking glass and into the catacombs of a masked madman. Though it’s rightly regarded as the first great horror film, it also seems possible that what makes it great – its tender dreaminess, the sympathy Chaney swiftly earns – disqualifies it as ”horror.” The movie’s really rather sweet. The set includes both the 1925 original and 1929’s suitably operatic restoration. I’d be tempted to label the handful of extras (a slickly authoritative audio commentary, a stills gallery, an interview with the cinematographer) For Geeks Only, if the movie, in its combination of gothic grandeur and simple pathos, didn’t threaten to make geeks of us all.
The Phantom of the Opera: The Ultimate Edition Before Andrew Lloyd Webber's tourist trap of a megamusical (presently being transformed for the movies by director Joel Schumacher) and before a slew...The Phantom of the Opera: The Ultimate EditionUnrated Before Andrew Lloyd Webber's tourist trap of a megamusical (presently being transformed for the movies by director Joel Schumacher) and before a slew...2003-10-10
MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted October 10 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- The Weeknd lives through a car crash in 'The Hills' video
- Vanessa Bayer, Fred Armisen, more appear in new Jenny Lewis video
- Neil Young thought Florence Welch was 'a man with a high voice'
- 'League of Extraordinary Gentlemen' re-do?
- Blink-182, Tom DeLonge: 'friendly divorce'
- Rob Delaney and Sharon Horgan make messy love in Amazon’s 'Catastrophe'
- How Walk the Moon scored a summer pop hit in 'Shut Up and Dance'
- Bill Paxton reminisces about 15 key roles
- 15 scary movies we saw as kids... that still haunt our nightmares
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- Ben Affleck, Taylor Swift, the Entourage Guys & More!