Before Andrew Lloyd Webber’s tourist trap of a megamusical (presently being transformed for the movies by director Joel Schumacher) and before a slew of other screen versions (with actors as various as Casablanca’s Claude Rains and A Nightmare on Elm Street’s Robert Englund as the lead ghoul), there was the silent classic starring Lon Chaney. Phantom’s enchantment begins when Christine, an opera ingenue, ventures through her dressing room’s looking glass and into the catacombs of a masked madman. Though it’s rightly regarded as the first great horror film, it also seems possible that what makes it great – its tender dreaminess, the sympathy Chaney swiftly earns – disqualifies it as ”horror.” The movie’s really rather sweet. The set includes both the 1925 original and 1929’s suitably operatic restoration. I’d be tempted to label the handful of extras (a slickly authoritative audio commentary, a stills gallery, an interview with the cinematographer) For Geeks Only, if the movie, in its combination of gothic grandeur and simple pathos, didn’t threaten to make geeks of us all.
The Phantom of the Opera: The Ultimate Edition Before Andrew Lloyd Webber's tourist trap of a megamusical (presently being transformed for the movies by director Joel Schumacher) and before a slew...The Phantom of the Opera: The Ultimate EditionUnrated Before Andrew Lloyd Webber's tourist trap of a megamusical (presently being transformed for the movies by director Joel Schumacher) and before a slew...2003-10-10
MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted October 10 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Fuller House': Candace Cameron Bure, NKOTB star recreate adorable photo
- Lifetime making Britney Spears biopic
- Delta to stop airing Chris Rock special containing anti-gay slur
- Donald Trump slams famous Hillary supporters as 'not hot anymore'
- 'Stranger Things' and 'Parks & Rec': Jean-Ralphio is Steve's son, star says
- 'RuPaul's Drag Race All Stars': Three queens spill the tea on season 2 twist
- 'Mr. Robot': When a big twist isn't really a twist at all
- Flashback to the 2001 'Summer Catch' Premiere
- Fall Movie Preview 2016: 'Fantastic Beasts,' 'Rogue One,' and 76 Other Films
- Flashback to the 1996 MTV Video Music Awards
- See All of EW's Fall Movie Preview Covers
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your comedy nominees are...
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your drama nominees are...