Before Andrew Lloyd Webber’s tourist trap of a megamusical (presently being transformed for the movies by director Joel Schumacher) and before a slew of other screen versions (with actors as various as Casablanca’s Claude Rains and A Nightmare on Elm Street’s Robert Englund as the lead ghoul), there was the silent classic starring Lon Chaney. Phantom’s enchantment begins when Christine, an opera ingenue, ventures through her dressing room’s looking glass and into the catacombs of a masked madman. Though it’s rightly regarded as the first great horror film, it also seems possible that what makes it great – its tender dreaminess, the sympathy Chaney swiftly earns – disqualifies it as ”horror.” The movie’s really rather sweet. The set includes both the 1925 original and 1929’s suitably operatic restoration. I’d be tempted to label the handful of extras (a slickly authoritative audio commentary, a stills gallery, an interview with the cinematographer) For Geeks Only, if the movie, in its combination of gothic grandeur and simple pathos, didn’t threaten to make geeks of us all.
The Phantom of the Opera: The Ultimate Edition Before Andrew Lloyd Webber's tourist trap of a megamusical (presently being transformed for the movies by director Joel Schumacher) and before a slew...The Phantom of the Opera: The Ultimate EditionUnrated Before Andrew Lloyd Webber's tourist trap of a megamusical (presently being transformed for the movies by director Joel Schumacher) and before a slew...2003-10-10
MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted October 10 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Scandal' stars are back to work on season 6
- Eva Longoria dings Donald Trump at DNC: 'My father is not a rapist'
- 'Bachelorette': Wells gives 'spirited' episode recap on Snapchat
- Michelle Obama hits back at Donald Trump in powerful DNC speech
- Shannen Doherty shares breast cancer update after shaving head
- Paul Simon performs 'Bridge Over Troubled Water' at DNC
- Sarah Silverman to Bernie Sanders holdouts: 'You're being ridiculous'
- Comic-Con 2016: Celebs at the Biggest Day 4 Panels
- 'Friends': See the Cast's Evolution Over 10 Years
- This Is What the First Lollapalooza Looked Like
- Comic-Con 2016: See Scenes From Marvel's Showcase
- Comic-Con 2016: See Portraits of Marvel Studios Stars
- Comic-Con 2016: Celebs at the Biggest Day 3 Panels