Though similarly worthwhile, the latest 9/11-based productions couldn’t be more different. Comprising six separate views of the tragedy, ”Portraits” amounts to a moving (if occasionally clumsy) event. With Dana Reeve’s passionate rendering of a widow furious that her late husband chose heroism over her, and the marvelous Victor Slezak as a guilt-ridden World Trade Center businessman who survived because he was off having an affair (similar stuff occurred in Neil LaBute’s ”The Mercy Seat”), Jonathan Bell’s monologue collection is as provocative as it is cathartic. Meanwhile, Heather Graham makes a credible NYC theater debut in Events, joking ”There’s this great new show called ”Attack on America” – it’s really long.” Yes, it’s a Sept. 11 ”comedy.” And, yes, some of the most compelling lines go to a sock puppet. But anchored by a firm sense of fate and irony, Craig Wright’s inventive snapshot of a group of Minnesotans who become slowly un-numbed playing drinking games on Sept. 12 moderates the awkwardness just fine.
Portraits Though similarly worthwhile, the latest 9/11-based productions couldn't be more different. Comprising six separate views of the tragedy, ''Portraits''...Portraits Though similarly worthwhile, the latest 9/11-based productions couldn't be more different. Comprising six separate views of the tragedy, ''Portraits''...2003-10-10
Starring: Dana Reeve, Victor Slezak; Director: Mark Pinter; Opening Date: 09/09/2003
Posted October 10 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Jimmy Kimmel addresses 'avalanche' of backlash from video game sketch
- Ben Hatke previews new graphic novel as 'a little book in a big world'
- See the trailer for 'Animorphs' author's next book, 'Crenshaw' -- exclusive
- 'Being Mary Jane' season 3 gets premiere date, adds guest stars Loretta Devine and Jill Scott
- See the new trailer for Eli Roth's 'Knock Knock'
- Listen to Jesse Eisenberg read about Carmelo Anthony in 'Bream Gives Me Hiccups' -- exclusive
- Shadowman returns to the Valiant Universe in 'Operation: Deadside'
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Kendall Jenner, Jamie Dornan, Katie Holmes & More!