Though similarly worthwhile, the latest 9/11-based productions couldn’t be more different. Comprising six separate views of the tragedy, ”Portraits” amounts to a moving (if occasionally clumsy) event. With Dana Reeve’s passionate rendering of a widow furious that her late husband chose heroism over her, and the marvelous Victor Slezak as a guilt-ridden World Trade Center businessman who survived because he was off having an affair (similar stuff occurred in Neil LaBute’s ”The Mercy Seat”), Jonathan Bell’s monologue collection is as provocative as it is cathartic. Meanwhile, Heather Graham makes a credible NYC theater debut in Events, joking ”There’s this great new show called ”Attack on America” – it’s really long.” Yes, it’s a Sept. 11 ”comedy.” And, yes, some of the most compelling lines go to a sock puppet. But anchored by a firm sense of fate and irony, Craig Wright’s inventive snapshot of a group of Minnesotans who become slowly un-numbed playing drinking games on Sept. 12 moderates the awkwardness just fine.
Portraits Though similarly worthwhile, the latest 9/11-based productions couldn't be more different. Comprising six separate views of the tragedy, ''Portraits''...Portraits Though similarly worthwhile, the latest 9/11-based productions couldn't be more different. Comprising six separate views of the tragedy, ''Portraits''...2003-10-10
Starring: Dana Reeve, Victor Slezak; Director: Mark Pinter; Opening Date: 09/09/2003
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- Gone Girl writer Gillian Flynn to collaborate with Steve McQueen on heist thriller
- 'Sherlock' season 4 details: 'Frightening, tough, emotional upheaval'
- 'Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone' illustrated edition cover art revealed
- 'Castle' sneak peek: Did Beckett and Castle just dig their own graves?
- Limp Bizkit's Fred Durst reminds everyone he is not Robert Durst
- Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool...on a bearskin rug: 'With great power, comes great irresponsibility'
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus identifies her new 'Veep' hair as 'Dustin Hoffman'
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- Patricia Field on 5 costume gigs before she got 'Younger'
- 'Game of Thrones' London premiere: Red carpet style
- Katy Perry, Kenny & Taylor, Josh Peck and More!