We admit the idea of a pretty 16-year-old white girl from England fronting a band of Miami soul veterans – Betty Wright, Little Beaver, Latimore – and covering songs written before she was born smacks of cynical marketing. Thing is, Joss Stone does have an extraordinary voice, and the only misguided ploy on The Soul Sessions is a Roots-produced slo-mo cover of a White Stripes tune (”Fell in Love With a Boy”). And even that’s pretty good.
(Joss Stone: Raul Rubiera/Miami Herald/NewsCom)
Genre: R&B; Lead Performer: Joss Stone; Producer (group): S-curve; Status: In Season
Posted October 10 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Sports Illustrated' reveals how the NFL persuaded Michael Jackson to perform at the Super Bowl
- Rachael Taylor joins 'A.K.A. Jessica Jones'
- Study: Binge-watching TV might make you sad
- A.J. McLean previews 'raw' Backstreet Boys documentary
- NEEDTOBREATHE teams with Gavin DeGraw for 'Brother'
- Disney to intro its first Latina princess
- Box office preview: 'Project Almanac' joins 'American Sniper' in theaters