What a great, ballsy gal’s holler of a voice Willett’s got; what a funny, smart-mouthed, fearless, reverberating rumble of a tale this novel is! (And what a howdy-do of a title!) In Dorcas Mather, an acerbic, middle-aged spinster from dead-end, fictional Frome, R.I., and her fat, slutty twin sister, Abigail, Willett has created one of the zingiest yin-yangs of womankind since Scarlett O’Hara put up with Melanie. And in Conrad Lowe, the pitiless creep who comes between them, as well as in Conrad’s preening art-world friends Guy and Hilda De Vilbiss, the author mows down worlds of artistic and psychological twaddle with killer sprays of language. Willett is effortlessly, furiously funny – but she’s also passionately serious about defending human dignity against all the denting hooey thrown at it daily.
Winner of the National Book Award What a great, ballsy gal's holler of a voice Willett's got; what a funny, smart-mouthed, fearless, reverberating rumble of a tale this novel is! (And...Winner of the National Book AwardFictionJincy Willett What a great, ballsy gal's holler of a voice Willett's got; what a funny, smart-mouthed, fearless, reverberating rumble of a tale this novel is! (And...2003-10-10
Genre: Fiction; Author: Jincy Willett
Posted October 10 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'American Idol' guest mentor Boy George picks the frontrunners of the Top 9
- Sherlock creator: Making U.S. fans wait longer is 'bloody nonsense'
- Marvel changes the Avengers lineup, adding Ms. Marvel and Miles Morales
- One Direction address Zayn Malik's exit: 'It's far from over'
- Jason Alexander to replace Larry David in 'Fish in the Dark' on Broadway
- Former 'Mad Men' stars talk saying goodbye and the 'brilliantly talented' Jon Hamm
- Watch Ed Sheeran surprise a couple on their wedding day
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- Patricia Field on 5 costume gigs before she got 'Younger'
- 'Game of Thrones' London premiere: Red carpet style
- Best ‘DWTS’ champ? A (non-scientific) power ranking
- T.I. & Kevin, Jon Hamm, Olivia & Jason and More!