What a great, ballsy gal’s holler of a voice Willett’s got; what a funny, smart-mouthed, fearless, reverberating rumble of a tale this novel is! (And what a howdy-do of a title!) In Dorcas Mather, an acerbic, middle-aged spinster from dead-end, fictional Frome, R.I., and her fat, slutty twin sister, Abigail, Willett has created one of the zingiest yin-yangs of womankind since Scarlett O’Hara put up with Melanie. And in Conrad Lowe, the pitiless creep who comes between them, as well as in Conrad’s preening art-world friends Guy and Hilda De Vilbiss, the author mows down worlds of artistic and psychological twaddle with killer sprays of language. Willett is effortlessly, furiously funny – but she’s also passionately serious about defending human dignity against all the denting hooey thrown at it daily.
Winner of the National Book Award What a great, ballsy gal's holler of a voice Willett's got; what a funny, smart-mouthed, fearless, reverberating rumble of a tale this novel is! (And...Winner of the National Book AwardFictionJincy Willett What a great, ballsy gal's holler of a voice Willett's got; what a funny, smart-mouthed, fearless, reverberating rumble of a tale this novel is! (And...2003-10-10
Genre: Fiction; Author: Jincy Willett; Status: In Season
Posted October 10 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Empire': Behind the scenes at EW's photo shoot
- Skrillex + Diplo release Jack U debut
- 'Empire' star Jussie Smollett on the power of Jamal's coming-out
- 'Focus' aims to lift box office crown from 'Fifty Shades of Grey'
- Bruce Willis indie-thriller 'Wake' halts production due to lack of funding
- 'How to Get Away with Murder' creator on season 1 success, season 2 ideas
- Catwoman comes out as bisexual in comic
- 'Empire': New EW cast portraits and behind-the-scenes photos
- 'Dancing with the Stars': Sizing up the season 20 cast
- 'Parks' 2017: What we embrace/dread in world of tomorrow
- Oscars 2015: EW exclusive rehearsal photos
- Oscars 2015 backstage: EW all-access photo pass
- Taylor, Rita & Orlando, Amanda and More!