It’s hard to write a review worthy of House of the Dead and still use correct spelling and grammar. To properly convey the jaw-dropping shoddiness of this videogame-based ”horror” ”movie,” one must approach what scientists call Absolute Stupid, a state previously thought to exist only under highly controlled laboratory conditions or at the highest levels of government. In fairness, the source material lacks the rich mythos of, say, ”Resident Evil”: In the plotless ”House,” you simply shoot zombies. The movie is fairly faithful in this regard – clips from the game actually account for a good chunk of the footage. (I’d call this lazy filmmaking, but that would imply the existence of filmmaking here.) The most frightening aspect of ”House” is its production values. The zombie makeup appears to be designed by a Ritalin-starved tween – perhaps the same kid who nauseates us with endless sub-”Matrix” ”rotation” shots, the kind you can now make with a PC and too much free time. Perhaps he also wrote this brilliant exchange: ”You created it all to be immortal…Why?!?” The answer: ”To live forever!” Amazingly, director Uwe Boll and writer Mark A. Altman (”Free Enterprise”) aren’t tweens. Jury’s still out on the Ritalin. What more can be said about a movie that actually makes you lament, ”Clint Howard, you’re too good for this!” I can barely bring myself to give a flying F.
Genre: Horror, Sci-fi and Fantasy; Starring: Enuka Okuma, Michael Ecklund, David Palffy, Jurgen Prochnow, Will Sanderson; Director: Uwe Boll; Author: Mark A. Altman, Dave Parker; Release Date Wide: 10/10/2003; Runtime (in minutes): 92; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Artisan Entertainment
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- Who is Trevor Noah? He could be the next Daily Show host
- Jerry Seinfeld on Wale: 'He's got that true artistic spirit'
- 'Orphan Black' star Jordan Gavaris talks Felix
- Kids' Choice Awards host Nick Jonas answers questions from kids
- 'Walking Dead' star Tovah Feldshuh on Rick-Deanna showdown
- '12 Monkeys' exec producer: THAT Ramse arc 'planned from the first minute'
- Prince sued in recording battle over 'Voice' singer Judith Hill
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- Patricia Field on 5 costume gigs before she got 'Younger'
- Jimmy Fallon, Liv Tyler, Emilia Clarke & More!