The Flaming Lips’ Wayne Coyne has been sporting antennae and a chrome suit lately, but his band’s not ditching psychedelic pop for glam rock. They’re just filming a homemade, predictably loopy sci-fi movie called ”Christmas on Mars.” ”My character, a superbeing from deep space, becomes the Santa Claus of this celebration,” says writer-director Coyne. To ensure a properly ”loud and intense” atmosphere, Coyne says the Lips hope to launch a traveling exhibition of the movie next Christmas: ”You can drink, you can smoke, you can f – - in the back row for all I care.” Now that’s goodwill toward men.
Posted October 17 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Underground' adds Aisha Hinds as Harriet Tubman for season 2
- '90210' actress wants actors' ages off casting sites to prevent ageism
- Doug Liman to direct 'Justice League Dark' for Warner Bros.
- PaleyFest: Made in NY to feature 'Daily Show,' 'Homeland,' 'Elementary'
- Hear a never-released George Carlin bit about hating the police
- The Weeknd teases new music
- Jennifer Holliday joining 'The Color Purple' revival
- Flashback to the 2001 'Summer Catch' Premiere
- Fall Movie Preview 2016: 'Fantastic Beasts,' 'Rogue One,' and 76 Other Films
- Flashback to the 1996 MTV Video Music Awards
- See All of EW's Fall Movie Preview Covers
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your comedy nominees are...
- Poppy Awards 2016: Your drama nominees are...