The Flaming Lips’ Wayne Coyne has been sporting antennae and a chrome suit lately, but his band’s not ditching psychedelic pop for glam rock. They’re just filming a homemade, predictably loopy sci-fi movie called ”Christmas on Mars.” ”My character, a superbeing from deep space, becomes the Santa Claus of this celebration,” says writer-director Coyne. To ensure a properly ”loud and intense” atmosphere, Coyne says the Lips hope to launch a traveling exhibition of the movie next Christmas: ”You can drink, you can smoke, you can f – - in the back row for all I care.” Now that’s goodwill toward men.
Posted October 17 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- David Letterman gets a tribute at the Indy 500--but it ends in a crash
- Cannes 2015: Jacques Audiard's 'Dheepan' wins the Palme d'Or
- ‘Tomorrowland’ leads slow Memorial Day weekend at box office
- Jennifer Aniston's '90s throwback photo is picture perfect
- Straight No Chaser step into Jim Nabors' shoes, sing to kick off the Indy 500
- Dave Grohl joins Paul McCartney on London stage: Watch
- Kelly Rutherford gets sole custody of kids
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- George & Amal, the Rock, Anne Hathaway & More!