Well, it’s about time. ”Echoes,” the debut LP by the funkiest of New York’s new-rock triumvirate (with the Strokes and the Yeah Yeah Yeahs), is old news to some, since it’s been circulating for more than a year while the band worked out a record deal with producers James Murphy and Tim Goldsworthy, a.k.a. DFA. But it still sounds fresher and more diverse than previous releases or live shows would’ve suggested, a mix of top-shelf dance-club rock (”Olio”), shaggy Cure impersonations (”Heaven”), and charmingly gloomy ballads (”Open Up Your Heart”). ”Compilation #1” is DFA’s aesthetic argument, a singles collection with the smoking 12” mix of the Rapture’s ”House of Jealous Lovers” and other adventures in scratchy grooves and ’80s-style drum-machine programming. DAMN KIDS LCD Soundsystem’s ”Losing My Edge” (from ”Compilation #1”) is a hilarious must-hear for the self-loathing music geek in your life.
DFA Records Compilation #1 Well, it's about time. ''Echoes,'' the debut LP by the funkiest of New York's new-rock triumvirate (with the Strokes and the Yeah Yeah Yeahs), is old...DFA Records Compilation #1 Well, it's about time. ''Echoes,'' the debut LP by the funkiest of New York's new-rock triumvirate (with the Strokes and the Yeah Yeah Yeahs), is old...2003-10-17
Lead Performer: Various Artists; Producer (group): DFA
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- Jonathan Crombie, seen as Gilbert Blythe in 'Anne of Green Gables' films, dies at 48
- Johnny Kemp, 'Just Got Paid' singer, dies
- Star Wars Celebration: Jakku, BB-8 and other key takeaways about 'The Force Awakens'
- Two generations of heroes meet in new 'Star Wars Rebels' trailer
- Zayn Malik thanks One Direction at event
- Pixar's 'Inside Out' peek: Joy has a special job for Sadness on first day at a new school
- ACM Awards' host Luke Bryan on big stage spotlight: 'It's fun to have a touch of anxiety'
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Prince Harry, Christina Aguilera, Diane Kruger & More!