Hazzard’s elegiac new novel, the first since her modern classic ”The Transit of Venus” in 1980, sails into port like a magnificent ship of fiction from another era: She writes in stately, compassionate sentences of things that matter, such as the triumph of love over loss, taking time to coax each character out of his or her hiding place of 20th-century unease. The fire the author has in mind is the blister of World War II, which leaves British war hero Aldred Leith adrift in 1948 Asia, losing himself in a study of occupied Japan. Hazzard gently, graciously contrasts Leith’s hesitant attraction to a much younger Australian girl with the fate of a fellow soldier, also broken by the destruction around him. The author convinces us that out of that world-changing fire, the age of anxiety was born.
The Great Fire Hazzard's elegiac new novel, the first since her modern classic ''The Transit of Venus'' in 1980, sails into port like a magnificent ship of fiction...The Great FireFictionShirley Hazzard Hazzard's elegiac new novel, the first since her modern classic ''The Transit of Venus'' in 1980, sails into port like a magnificent ship of fiction...2003-10-17Farrar, Straus & Giroux
Genre: Fiction; Author: Shirley Hazzard; Publisher: Farrar, Straus & Giroux
Posted October 17 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Jason Clarke prepares the team for the journey ahead in 'Everest' clip
- R. Kelly says he wrote 462 songs for his new album, and they're all hits
- 'Vampire Diaries' cast recalls what it was like working with Nina Dobrev
- The best VMA moments, according to Facebook
- Dylan's Candy Bar is celebrating 'Mean Girls' with themed candy
- 11 outrageous moments from Miley Cyrus' surprise album
- 'Faking It' season 2B supertease: Karma and Amy pretend to be a couple again — exclusive
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Khloé & Kris, Elsa & Chris, Rihanna and More!