Do not mistake Haggard Like Never Before – a deceptively jaunty, brief (a tad over half an hour) album – as minor Merle Haggard. While the title song invites you to apply the pun of his surname to his aging musical prowess, the music refutes his joshing. There’s a lotta spunk in the old coot: Beyond the typically anti-media, anti-Iraq-war-policy politics behind the single ”That’s the News,” ”Never Before” has a fun novelty song (”Garbage Man”), a great ballad (”The Downside”), and a beautiful ballad (”Because of Your Eyes”). And, except for the novelty number, he wrote all those, and he sings them in a voice that, impossibly, has grown smoother and more flexible with age.
Haggard Like Never BeforeDo not mistake Haggard Like Never Before -- a deceptively jaunty, brief (a tad over half an hour) album -- as minor Merle Haggard. While the title...Haggard Like Never BeforeCountryDo not mistake Haggard Like Never Before -- a deceptively jaunty, brief (a tad over half an hour) album -- as minor Merle Haggard. While the title...2003-10-17
Genre: Country; Lead Performer: Merle Haggard; Producer (group): Compendia
Posted January 17 2015 — 4:48 AM EST
- Angelina Jolie makes first public appearance since her surgery at the Kids Choice Awards
- Kids Choice Awards 2015 winners are...
- Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson hosts 'SNL': Talk about it here
- Hugh Jackman teases final go-round as 'Wolverine' on Instagram
- J.K. Rowling's 'Casual Vacancy' miniseries gets a trailer
- Sacha Baron Cohen as Freddie Mercury
- Justin Moore on touring with Miranda Lambert, new music, and getting to play Madison Square Garden
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- The Clooneys, Sienna Miller, Kate & Kate and More!