Do not mistake Haggard Like Never Before – a deceptively jaunty, brief (a tad over half an hour) album – as minor Merle Haggard. While the title song invites you to apply the pun of his surname to his aging musical prowess, the music refutes his joshing. There’s a lotta spunk in the old coot: Beyond the typically anti-media, anti-Iraq-war-policy politics behind the single ”That’s the News,” ”Never Before” has a fun novelty song (”Garbage Man”), a great ballad (”The Downside”), and a beautiful ballad (”Because of Your Eyes”). And, except for the novelty number, he wrote all those, and he sings them in a voice that, impossibly, has grown smoother and more flexible with age.
Haggard Like Never BeforeDo not mistake Haggard Like Never Before -- a deceptively jaunty, brief (a tad over half an hour) album -- as minor Merle Haggard. While the title...Haggard Like Never BeforeCountryDo not mistake Haggard Like Never Before -- a deceptively jaunty, brief (a tad over half an hour) album -- as minor Merle Haggard. While the title...2003-10-17
Genre: Country; Lead Performer: Merle Haggard; Producer (group): Compendia
Posted October 17 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.': Is Philinda finally going to happen?
- Adele endorses Hillary Clinton at Miami concert
- Stephen Colbert compares Donald Trump to Voldemort
- 'This Is Us': Dan Fogelman breaks down Jack and William revelations
- Trump-inspired 'Law & Order: SVU' episode gets post-election air date
- 'This Is Us': Milo Ventimiglia on Jack's fate
- 'Gilmore Girls' revival: New posters feature three generations, plus Luke
- 'The Walking Dead': Exclusive Season Premiere Storyboards
- 'Gilmore Girls' Trailer: A Deep Dive Into the Return to Stars Hollow
- 15 Ultimate Halloween Movie Picks, From Horror-Loving Actors and Filmmakers
- This Is What the 2001 CMAs Looked Like
- 'Smallville': Where Are They Now?
- Flashback to Taylor Swift's First Album Drop