Do not mistake Haggard Like Never Before – a deceptively jaunty, brief (a tad over half an hour) album – as minor Merle Haggard. While the title song invites you to apply the pun of his surname to his aging musical prowess, the music refutes his joshing. There’s a lotta spunk in the old coot: Beyond the typically anti-media, anti-Iraq-war-policy politics behind the single ”That’s the News,” ”Never Before” has a fun novelty song (”Garbage Man”), a great ballad (”The Downside”), and a beautiful ballad (”Because of Your Eyes”). And, except for the novelty number, he wrote all those, and he sings them in a voice that, impossibly, has grown smoother and more flexible with age.
Haggard Like Never BeforeDo not mistake Haggard Like Never Before -- a deceptively jaunty, brief (a tad over half an hour) album -- as minor Merle Haggard. While the title...Haggard Like Never BeforeCountryDo not mistake Haggard Like Never Before -- a deceptively jaunty, brief (a tad over half an hour) album -- as minor Merle Haggard. While the title...2003-10-17
Genre: Country; Lead Performer: Merle Haggard; Producer (group): Compendia
Posted October 17 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Fox cancels Ryan Seacrest's 'Knock Knock Live' after 2 episodes
- Despite polarizing season 2, HBO still interested in more 'True Detective'
- Box office preview: 'Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation,' 'Vacation'
- HBO says Game of Thrones will be at least eight seasons
- 'Feast' director Patrick Osborne to direct 'Battling Boy' adaptation
- 'Elementary' enlists 'The Knick' star Jeremy Bobb
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Jennifer Lopez, Brad Pitt, Candace & Lori and More!