THE LABEL Barsuk (pronounced bar-suke; Russian for ”badger”) ESTABLISHED 1994 AESTHETIC You know the indie-rock template: Cofounders Christopher Possanza and Josh Rosenfeld couldn’t find a label for their experimental Seattle rock band, This Busy Monster, so they started their own. ”We were hand-assembling records on the floor of [Possanza’s] house and they all had dog hair in them,” remembers Rosenfeld. After such humble beginnings (the label only released three singles in its first four years), Barsuk found its niche in the power-pop underground by issuing Deathcab for Cutie’s dreamy debut in 1998. ESSENCE Although Deathcab singer Ben Gibbard is their highest-profile troubadour, Barsuk boasts enough emo and indie confessors – including Kind of Like Spitting, Nada Surf, and the Long Winters – to melt the iciest heart. ”Every release has strong songwriting,” says Rosenfeld. ”If I could put out a Paul Simon record, I’d love to.” Simon might want to consider it. Barsuk aims to take care of its touchy-feely roster financially. ”We’ve sent our contract to bands’ attorneys and I’ve had attorneys remark, ‘Wow. Really?”’ says Rosenfeld. ”That makes me feel good.” ESSENTIAL Deathcab for Cutie’s latest, ”Transatlanticism;” Nada Surf’s excellent post-”Popular” record, ”Let Go.” EXPECT… Albums from indie-pop auteur John Vanderslice and recent signees Aveo in early 2004.
Posted October 17 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Chris Pine reportedly signed for 'Wonder Woman'
- 'Orange Is the New Black': What happened to Nicky Nichols?
- Lee Daniels goes behind the scenes of 'American Crime Story'
- 'SYTYCD' mentor blog: Travis Wall talks controversial elimination
- 'Doctor Who' is headed to theaters in September
- Aziz Ansari's Netflix comedy snags Claire Danes and more
- Harris Wittels' cause of death confirmed to be accidental overdose
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- #50Scoops50Days: Keep up with the latest in fall TV news
- Ashley Madison profiles for TV's most famous adulterers
- The Hemsworths, Eva Longoria, Tom Cruise & More!