THE LABEL Barsuk (pronounced bar-suke; Russian for ”badger”) ESTABLISHED 1994 AESTHETIC You know the indie-rock template: Cofounders Christopher Possanza and Josh Rosenfeld couldn’t find a label for their experimental Seattle rock band, This Busy Monster, so they started their own. ”We were hand-assembling records on the floor of [Possanza’s] house and they all had dog hair in them,” remembers Rosenfeld. After such humble beginnings (the label only released three singles in its first four years), Barsuk found its niche in the power-pop underground by issuing Deathcab for Cutie’s dreamy debut in 1998. ESSENCE Although Deathcab singer Ben Gibbard is their highest-profile troubadour, Barsuk boasts enough emo and indie confessors – including Kind of Like Spitting, Nada Surf, and the Long Winters – to melt the iciest heart. ”Every release has strong songwriting,” says Rosenfeld. ”If I could put out a Paul Simon record, I’d love to.” Simon might want to consider it. Barsuk aims to take care of its touchy-feely roster financially. ”We’ve sent our contract to bands’ attorneys and I’ve had attorneys remark, ‘Wow. Really?”’ says Rosenfeld. ”That makes me feel good.” ESSENTIAL Deathcab for Cutie’s latest, ”Transatlanticism;” Nada Surf’s excellent post-”Popular” record, ”Let Go.” EXPECT… Albums from indie-pop auteur John Vanderslice and recent signees Aveo in early 2004.
Posted October 17 2003 — 12:00 AM EDT
- These were the best responses to our Shondaland caption contest
- Pentatonix reveal details of new album: 'We want to prove we can write'
- Misha Collins thinks Donald Trump would make a great cat circus tour assistant
- 5 steps for celebrating Beyonce's birthday
- Talking 'Star Wars' toys: Hear Finn, Kylo Ren and Captain Phasma speak
- Viola Davis on the time she kissed a casting director
- 'Survivor: Second Chance': Peih-Gee Law on the advice Amanda Kimmel gave her
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Tom Hardy, Alessandra Ambrósio, Bindi Irwin & More!